• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Contest/Raffle Ideas Needed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
The fund is presently up to $170, so we already have more than enough to get this rolling. I want as much input as possible so we can get this finalized hopefully by next Monday so the first giveway can take place sometime in June. Perhaps make a list of ideas here, and then we can vote on them. Remember we don't have to do the same thing every month, lets just get the first one knocked out.

That sounds good to me. Keep this strictly for the new or long term inactive member (say, inactive for at least 6mos prior).

Cy

I like the way folding ran their last contest, they did it on a points system, those that signed up for it started with like 15 points (tickets) they than accumulated the points per every result received and used a program to shuffle all these results around and pick a winner.

I think maybe the prizes should be essentials, Proc, Mobo, Ram maybe three possible winners ?

Just my two cents

J :cool:

How are you going to run a contest? Not everyone has umpteen business servers crunching for them. The members with slow system are left in the cold before the contest even begins.
How about a drawing? To be eligible, you must turn in at least one w/u per day for the number of days in the month of the contest. The names of the people who qualify are put in "The Hat" and a winner is picked. Someone that we agree on (an administrater or Skip) can make the draw. Make the "pot" a $50 gift certificate to one of the advertisers at Overclockers.com, that way we don't eat up the fund in one contest and we support Skips advertisers.
I think this is fair for ALL the members of O/C SETI. It's open to any member and the only catch is to crunch.

Opinions?

Crunch on.

I would add at this early junction that we are accumulating several good ideas, many of which we may want to use along the way. :D

Cy

craigiz1 said:
How are you going to run a contest? Not everyone has umpteen business servers crunching for them. The members with slow system are left in the cold before the contest even begins.
How about a drawing? To be eligible, you must turn in at least one w/u per day for the number of days in the month of the contest. The names of the people who qualify are put in "The Hat" and a winner is picked. Someone that we agree on (an administrater or Skip) can make the draw. Make the "pot" a $50 gift certificate to one of the advertisers at Overclockers.com, that way we don't eat up the fund in one contest and we support Skips advertisers.
I think this is fair for ALL the members of O/C SETI. It's open to any member and the only catch is to crunch.

Opinions?

Crunch on.

Thats a great idea!.1 ticket per day, as long as you upload 1 result per day....like I said..not all of us can do 10-30 WU's per day

craigiz1 said:

Opinions?

Crunch on.

This info can be email to the inactive members to get their attenstion and get them back into crunching. If the active members donate even $1, the "pot" will grow and we can offer bigger prizes.
I like this idea because you have to crunch for the entire month, not just untill you get "x" number. Even the super crunchers would have to keep crunching.

I agree that it shouldn't be just the highest producers that are elegible for the drawing. That just makes the strong stronger, and discourages the smaller people. I'm not entirely sure about the gift certificate going to an advertiser. Perhaps one of the gifts, but not everything. Most of the advertisers here are not going to let us stretch the budget on some of the compoenents. I also agree about limiting the prizes to main components only. Lets keep video cards and hard drives out unless they're donated. We don't need to be giving away sound cards and mice :D

TC said:
I agree that it shouldn't be just the highest producers that are elegible for the drawing. That just makes the strong stronger, and discourages the smaller people. I'm not entirely sure about the gift certificate going to an advertiser. Perhaps one of the gifts, but not everything. Most of the advertisers here are not going to let us stretch the budget on some of the compoenents. I also agree about limiting the prizes to main components only. Lets keep video cards and hard drives out unless they're donated. We don't need to be giving away sound cards and mice :D

Why can't it be $50 on what ever you want? Not everyone needs or wants another hard drive or vid card. Let them choose what they want or need. I can't believe an advertiser would refuse business from a place (O/C.com) that he was trying to get business from.

I like the idea of 1 wu a day as well... but where is the money going to come from each time...there were some great donations but that cant be expected everytime...
why not 1 wu a day for a month and atleast 1$ per month to buy your tircket so to speak??

craigiz1 said:

This info can be email to the inactive members to get their attenstion and get them back into crunching. If the active members donate even $1, the "pot" will grow and we can offer bigger prizes.
I like this idea because you have to crunch for the entire month, not just untill you get "x" number. Even the super crunchers would have to keep crunching.

craigiz1 said:

Why can't it be $50 on what ever you want? Not everyone needs or wants another hard drive or vid card. Let them choose what they want or need. I can't believe an advertiser would refuse business from a place (O/C.com) that he was trying to get business from.
I wasn't saying they would refuse business. The original idea of donations was to help people build new computers for crunching Seti - it's not like the random prize give aways from the best articles submitted to the home page. Consequnetly we were thinking of limiting the prizes to main components such as a Duron and a motherboard, and possibly ram - basic necessities that will build a new cruncher. To make the budget go farther we need to buy from vendors with good prices like newegg. Pc nut was or is still a sponsor and he would be good for some stuff, but if people want to buy copper heatsinks and water cooling setups I think we need to think twice about how we spend this money.

I also agree that throwing in at least a dollar to enter the contest is a good way to keep this going. We're not going to get $50 donations every month...and this will fizzle out without some way of keeping it self supporting.

I like the idea of the tickets. How about this:

1.-If you return at least 1 WU per day you receive 1 ticket. The best way I can thik of this will be take a SETITeam image at the start of the contest and one at the end. If you average 1 WU/day you receive 1 ticket.
2.-If you return at least 10 WU per day you receive 2 tickets.
3.-If you return at least 50 WU per day you receive 3 tickets.
4.-If you return at least 100 WU per day you receive 4 tickets.
5.-If you donate something to the contest you recive 1 bonus ticket.
6.-If you had been inactive for more than 6 months and returned to crunch you receive 1 bonus ticket.
7.-If you are a new member you receive 1 bonus ticket.

At the end of the contest (1 month) all tickets are dropped into a hat and 1 winner and 2 runner ups are selected.

As for the prices, I like the idea of a gift certificate (or deposit into a PayPal account). That way, if you need a mobo or CPU you can get it, but guys like me, that don't have space to have a farm can buy something else (like a waterblock).....The hardware donations could be exchanged for this money if the winner like them.

What do you think? With this you encourage people to farm and donate to the OCSETITeam piggy jar :D

Mictlan said:
I like the idea of the tickets. How about this:

1.-If you return at least 1 WU per day you receive 1 ticket. The best way I can thik of this will be take a SETITeam image at the start of the contest and one at the end. If you average 1 WU/day you receive 1 ticket.
2.-If you return at least 10 WU per day you receive 2 tickets.
3.-If you return at least 50 WU per day you receive 3 tickets.
4.-If you return at least 100 WU per day you receive 4 tickets.
5.-If you donate something to the contest you recive 1 bonus ticket.
6.-If you had been inactive for more than 6 months and returned to crunch you receive 1 bonus ticket.
7.-If you are a new member you receive 1 bonus ticket.

At the end of the contest (1 month) all tickets are dropped into a hat and 1 winner and 2 runner ups are selected.

As for the prices, I like the idea of a gift certificate (or deposit into a PayPal account). That way, if you need a mobo or CPU you can get it, but guys like me, that don't have space to have a farm can buy something else (like a waterblock).....The hardware donations could be exchanged for this money if the winner like them.

What do you think? With this you encourage people to farm and donate to the OCSETITeam piggy jar :D

arent items 2,3,4 still giving an edge to the bigger crunchers??

[Oc]acaridans said:

Exactly! it is an unfair advantage. The object is to keep everybody crunching the whole month. a $1 entry fee would be fair too.
As far as prizes....I think we need to work on that, but we are getting closer to having a great contest. :)

[Oc]acaridans said:

I was thinking it as exclusive, you either have item 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.....that way you can encourage people to crunch harder.....

As unfair, I don't think so. I was seeing the following: we are about 200 active members, right? About 95% of them return at least 1 WU per day that will be 190 tickets. If one quarter of them donate something to the cause that will be 47 more tickets.

A quick look to the movers and shackers you can see that we have just 2 members that produce more than 100 WU/day (hallen and the two norsemen). 4 more guys that produce more than 50 WU/day and 57 more guys producing more than more than 10 WU day......

In total it will be:
47 tickets for fees
127 tickets for category No. 1
114 tickets for category No. 2
12 tickets for category No. 3
8 tickets for category No. 4

Total 308 tickets

A guy with one ticket will be a winner 0.32% (3 in 1000 chance)

2 tickets, 0.65% (6.5 in 1000 chance)

3 tickets, 0.97% (1 in 100 chance)

4 tickets, 1.3% (1 in 100 chance)

This is not considering the returning guys or new members. For example: a new guy that return at least 1 WU/day and contributes US$1 to the fund will have the same chance of a guy thats producing 50+WU/day.....and with some numbers almost 1 in 100 chance to win a prize......I think this system is fair to all, but I will like to hear your opinion.

damn, I hate myself when I drop a bucket of numbers onto someone, but that's the life of an engineer :D

Mictlan said:

I was thinking it as exclusive, you either have item 1 or 2 or 3 or 4.....that way you can encourage people to crunch harder.....

As unfair, I don't think so. I was seeing the following: we are about 200 active members, right? About 95% of them return at least 1 WU per day that will be 190 tickets. If one quarter of them donate something to the cause that will be 47 more tickets.

A quick look to the movers and shackers you can see that we have just 2 members that produce more than 100 WU/day (hallen and the two norsemen). 4 more guys that produce more than 50 WU/day and 57 more guys producing more than more than 10 WU day......

In total it will be:
47 tickets for fees
127 tickets for category No. 1
114 tickets for category No. 2
12 tickets for category No. 3
8 tickets for category No. 4

Total 308 tickets

A guy with one ticket will be a winner 0.32% (3 in 1000 chance)

2 tickets, 0.65% (6.5 in 1000 chance)

3 tickets, 0.97% (1 in 100 chance)

4 tickets, 1.3% (1 in 100 chance)

This is not considering the returning guys or new members. For example: a new guy that return at least 1 WU/day and contributes US$1 to the fund will have the same chance of a guy thats producing 50+WU/day.....and with some numbers almost 1 in 100 chance to win a prize......I think this system is fair to all, but I will like to hear your opinion.

damn, I hate myself when I drop a bucket of numbers onto someone, but that's the life of an engineer :D

There is still a chance that some one or some people will have 4x as many chances as a person with only one ticket. That is an unfair advantage. The chances of winning must be equal. The only qualification should be to constantly crunch and donating $1. I think everyone can return at least one w/u per day.

Well I'm still leaning towards everybody having an equal chance - i.e. only one ticket per person. Maybe at certain intervals we can do a "super cruncher" contest where the rules are different.

Back