• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100% CPU Usage with SETI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ippyy

Registered
i have plenty enough memory and everything else to run seti fine, but its using 95-100% of the CPU all the time, is this normal?

Yes, running at 90+% cpu is very normal. SETI operates by using wasted cpu cycles on your computer. If nothing else is running then it will take all cycles available. As other programs start running it will only use the leftover cycles at that time. :D

HTH

Cy

ah ok, so other stuff will take priority then over seti if i go to run stuff, or should i turn it off if i want to play a game or something?

SETI will share cycles with other programs but the impact felt will depend on your setup and what you are trying to run. I run a dual duron 1.3ghz system and I can play UT while running two SETIs, MIRC and Email.

As with most things YMMV. :)

Try it and see if you like it. :) Some people will stop SETI while playing a game and then start it up again when they are done.

Cy

SETI will just sit in the background while you are playing games.
I get the same framerate with or without SETI running.

And on my snail I need every % of power I have :D :D

:beer:

Back