• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

iP3/T + MSI 6163 Pro.. No Dice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jamm0r

Registered
Howdy.

Just received an iP3/T 1.2T from Powerleap, and to cut to the chase, I have huge stability problems with it on my MSI 6163 Pro, which is listed as fully compatible in their compatibilty list. I have very similar problems to what belinassu has: My PC just randomly freezes, usually before I can even get past the BIOS memory count. The most stable I am able to get it is by increasing 8/16-bit I/O recovery times to their respective max., and can boot into DOS like 80% of the time. No dice with WindowsME or XP. And I can't reinstall them, as the computer just locks up like 2, 3 mins into the install. Unlike belinassu, I have no in-queue order (or whatever it is) setting, and I haven't figured out if it's possible to unlock these hidden options with cbrom.exe. When I slap in my p3 700@800 back in, I'm rock stable. And Powerleap has NOT replied back to my email of 3 days ago. Any ideas? :O I've also tried every single MSI bios for this board, to no avail...

Regards,
Miro "Jammer" Torrielli

JammOr,

You could verify the following :
1) That you are running at the spec FSB (for a start), which is 100. Check the jumpers for that.

2) That your PSU is adequate. How loaded is it (devices,...) and how many watts available ? (a good indicator is your 5v rail, if you can read it). When I first installed my PL/IP3 in my PC (155 watts), it was only good for up to 1200 mhz... after switching PSUs I am now rock stable at 1.5 Ghz.

3) Do you have v1 or v2 PL/IP3/t ?? With V1, you can not change voltage through dip switches, and it tends to undervolt the CPU (which could cause unstabilities). And if you have V2, then try to increase voltage *a bit* over default... to 1.525 volts or so, it *may* help stability.

Regards
FTC

FTC said:
JammOr,

You could verify the following :
1) That you are running at the spec FSB (for a start), which is 100. Check the jumpers for that.

2) That your PSU is adequate. How loaded is it (devices,...) and how many watts available ? (a good indicator is your 5v rail, if you can read it). When I first installed my PL/IP3 in my PC (155 watts), it was only good for up to 1200 mhz... after switching PSUs I am now rock stable at 1.5 Ghz.

3) Do you have v1 or v2 PL/IP3/t ?? With V1, you can not change voltage through dip switches, and it tends to undervolt the CPU (which could cause unstabilities). And if you have V2, then try to increase voltage *a bit* over default... to 1.525 volts or so, it *may* help stability.

Regards
FTC

Thanks for the speedy reply!

1) Yep, I set both the iP3/T and the mobo to force 100 FSB.

2) I have a 300W PSU, with only 1 HD + 1 CDROM, an R8500, a SBLive, and a NIC. I'll see if I can get my 5v rail readings as soon as I'm done typing this.

3) I just received the unit 3 days ago, and it reads V:1.1. Why wouldn't I have gotten a v2? Grrrr..

Regards,
Miro "Jammer" Torrielli

Last edited:
BTW, can I measure how much juice the CPU is getting, by using a voltmeter on the iP3/T PCB? If so, where?

JammOr,

I do not know if V2 is actually called V1.1 (have not seen one yet), but I know that the 'new one' is the one with jumpers for setting the voltage, so if yours has this jumpers, you have the new one.

Regarding voltages, your readings look a bit low... to confirm with a voltimeter, and if the power connector on your board is the same as mine, you will see three metal 'tabs' on top of the connector... read from each one to the one with the black wire with a voltimeter.. this will give you a good value for the 5 and 12v. In any case, 300w ought to be more than enough for your devices...

I'm out of other ideas... If this is 6163 specific I will not be able to help you further (do not have one).

Regards
FTC

Hey FTC,

I only have JP2 + JP3, which are for forcing FSB (100/66/auto).
How do I check what voltage is being fed to the CPU? not to the adapter. It must be a bios problem though, imo.. as my box just freezes even in the bios setup sometimes.. the CPU is hardly doing much there..=)

Regards,
Miro "Jammer" Torrielli

JammOr,

If you have one of the old cards, (i.e no configurable voltage), then as I was telling you in the other post, you must know that the card does *undervolt* the CPU. If you want to measure voltage, you will have to measure directly from the card, in the two voltage regulator relevant pins.... but beware, it is quite difficult and small place to hook your probe.
What I did is modify the adapter as shown in the following thread : pl-ip3/t vmodding thread. Taking profit of that, I could also add two additional pins to make voltage measuring a lot easier.... In my case, default supplied voltage was around 1.3v, which is low enough for most tualatins to still work at default Mhz, but not all of them reliably.

Regards
FTC

Jeezus.. that's friggin' outrageous. Don't they test these things before shipping them out, for crying out loud?! I will attempt the VID2-Vss mod, but this will of course void the warranty. I don't care, the fsckers aren't responding to my emails.. I'll call them tomorrow anyways and raise some hell... Thanks for all the help bud!

Regards,
Miro "Jammer" Torrielli

Ok. I connected vid2-vss, and confirmed with my vmeter that the cpu is indeed getting ~ 1.6V. This didn't solve anything, however. Same old freezing problems. Is it possible that the CPU is bad or something?

Some additional info: when my system freezes, I MUST clear CMOS (or boot once w/out the sloket, then reboot with it back in), or I can't POST.. real funky.

JammOr,

Sorry, I am out of ideas... but very well remember your sensation. It took me 2+ months to get to my objective with the pl-ip3/t... in the way I had to change the PSU (At least changing it has allowed me to add a new hdd lately), one of the memory sticks, I ended up with a new processor (1.0 instead of 1.2) just to have a 'nice' FSB and a quiet system (with low voltage), and had to take the risk of vmodding the card... Only putting together in the equation the fact that all of this is fun and a hobby, it deserves the hassle.

My only left suggestion is ... check your memory... even if you are 'sure' it should work at your used speed, even if it is PC133... specially if you have more than one stick, try to swap/test with only one stick and max. relaxed settings. It will take you just 1/2 hour, but you will be sure it is NOT your memory.

Regards
FTC

Hey FTC!

Already tried that.. my memory passed with flying colors. This is what I posted in another forum, is some people seem to believe the CPU itself is defective:

Dean,
The iP3/T has an extremely weak plastic holder that breaks when removing the CPU, so I would void the warranty were I to take the CPU out. However, I already found that out the HARD way. What I will definitely do, is call Powerleap up and raise a little hell, for shipping me a defective CPU. I doubt they will replace it though. Since I have a couple old slockets lying around, I will attempt the mods discussed @ overclockers.com and elsewhere, as I'm bored/furious/impatient. I don't have financial problems, but I do DETEST wasting money, and even more getting shafted by Powerleap. As it turns out, I have a friend bringing over his tua in a few, so if his works, that's the plan. Thanks for the help, I'll keep you updated.

Just picked up a stepping 1 (as opposed to a stepping 2 that came w/ the iP3/T) Celeratin 1.2 at a local computer wholesaler, slapped it in the iP3/T, and guess what? IT FRIGGIN WORKS! Runs rock stable @ 1.38G (115 FSB) without vmods. Time to go postal on Powerleap's sorry arses. Thanks for everything folks!

Regards,
Miro "Jammer" Torrielli

Last edited:
JammOr,

What do you mean by stepping 1 & 2 ?. As far as I know there have been 4 different "cpus" for 1.2, that is OEM and Retail, both 1.475 and 1.5 default voltage ones, but as far as I know these are *identical* (no real stepping, just marketing and binning differences). what is the s-code ? I very much doubt it is the s-spec that makes a whole family of tuareons incompatible.... probably just one single bad cpu.

Regards
FTC

My apologies, you are correct. What I mean is, the 1.2 that came with the iP3 was a SL6xx (1.5) and the one I bought is an SL5xx (1.475). If it is true that the iP3 undervolts the CPU, then maybe they may have more stability problems with 6xx's than 5xx's.

Regards,
Miro "Jammer" Torrielli

Back