• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid Idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ange062

Registered
I have an old small freezer laying around, it is the perfect size to fit a computer in. I was thinking about cutting drive bay holes in it, as well as a hole a the back to run wires through. It seems like a decent idea for keeping all system temps really low, the only thing im worried about is condensation, and adverse affects on cdrom drives and anything else with moving parts. Dumb idea?

Welcome to the Forums

Condesation would be an issue that would have to be worked with. Also, drives arent made to run anywhere below Room temp, so I would mount those externally. Other than that it looks good, just make sure the fridge can handle the heat.

Its a 7.0 cubic foot chest freezer, so it is quite a bit larger than a computer case, but its got more than enough room on the inside, and i think it should be powerful enough. I have a couple of questions, so if somebody wouldnt mind answering it would be great. What could be done about condensation problems? What should be mounted outside of the freezer? How well do you think this would cool the system?

You could try running a 60-75watt light bulb in there to simulate the heat from a cpu. I really don't think it's a good idea to do that though. If you do, do it with a system you don't care about.

Personally, I would go a different route with a cooling system using a fridge. I would use it to cool the water of a WC system, that way less area has to be protectd from condesation. There are ways to do it in that fasion, and prevent condensation, I am not sure how they work but other people here do, someone should be able to help you in that field.

The only system wide condensation control I have heard of is conformal coating.

But i dont think that is 100% effective. In case you dont know, its a spray... when it hardens its supposed to offer reasonable moisture/condensation protection. If your not planning on running air thru the freezer, you can buy dessicants. Go to dessicare.com
in a closed system, the dessicant will abosrb about 30% of its weight in water. and should get the humditity to <10%. Hence no problem with condensation. As soon as you open the freezer though, your screwed.

Back