• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wb ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrm1957

I'm looking at a water block and wanted to get some suggestions
on the one at coolingsolution.com. It is the one with the barbs on
top of the block. Also wanted to know which site has the maxi-flow pumps.

Very nice looking block BUT- why on earth would they put the screw socket that holds the top of the block on directly over the CPU core?!?

That's the hottest area, and it needs as much water flow as possible. With this block design, it has none!

I'm going to venture that the performance of this block is probably pretty weak.

thats pretty cool, iv been wanting to make one of them similar to that, that design actually works pretty good, and also whats rong with having the clamp on the middle of the block? my inlet isnt in the center, maze 2 inlet isnt, there are a lot of inlets that arent in the center, and they are like the best ones a lot of the time....

The inlet doesn't have to be in the center, true! Many good blocks do not have the inlet over the core.

But, this block has a solid wad of smooth aluminum directly over the core, rising the full height of the block!

Your average, very basic waterblock is just a hollow metal box. The area inside the block, directly over the CPU core, is hollow and filled with water. This waterblock is the same, except directly above the core it is solid aluminum in a smooth cylinder, and receives zero water flow.

The socket for the screw that holds the top on is directly above the cpu core! Take a look at the pics on the site, it'll make more sense. It's still a very nice, quality looking block, but I think it could have been designed better.

careful, my block has a island rite over the core, and the inlet is off to the side, go check it out, its in here "revized block" or something first page

True!!

Many good blacks have their inlets off center.
Like this one:
tc-4.jpg

It should be out in two weeks! The good fellas at Dtek made a revision of the TC-4 with a lexan top. (check out the craftsmanship!)

nice block there, b8ng8! Shore is purdy! :)

Maskedgeek, your block has the same, ahem, 'problem'. Mind you, I'm not saying it's a bad design- it looks like it will perform very very well, certainly better than the Cooling Solutions block. I'm just looking at it from an outside perspective, thinking about how I would've done it. I would've cut out the center island completely, or cut slashes or teeth or something into it to give it more surface area at least. Why?

Well, it stands to reason that the part of the block that receives the majority of the CPU's heat is the part directly above the copre, right? Why make that area just a sold lump with water flowing only past it's outer surface- you could leave it empty with a thick base, or drill it into fins, or form it into a screw or something to to increase surface area and thus, hopefully, cooling power.

Also, the Cooling Solution block is smooth aluminum, with nothing to induce turbulence or guide water flow. Water will more likely go directly from inlet to outlet, without going around the central pole(hottest part) at all. Look at it:
4.jpg

So, I think it probably isn't a very good block compared to others I have seen. Then again, even a not-so-good waterblock usually performs extremely well! So take my nit pickings with a grain of salt.

That is a neet design very simple would be easy to make on a lath no milling necessary I think I will try for something to do would be good for gpu block. I just finished my block got my nighbour to weld it up he is an artist with the tig didn't get a pic of the inside because I didn't think he was going to weld it right away when I took it over.

Take a look at the maze 3:
maze3a_large.gif

Its inlet is not in the direct center, but there is a fin directly over the center. This fin adds more surface area to the hottest part of block, yet allows cold water to rush past the hot spot.

If Cooling solutions were to have designed their block like this It may perform better, assuming they still wat to be able to use the screw in the center:

actually that would kinda suck.... cuz the thing about the circle thing is that the water hasta swirl it has a lot of turblience and it swirls extrememly fast!

I think its funner and more rewarding to build your own stuff, but other than that, it looks great! but id say get the parts seprately or go get yourself a heatercore, and make a shroud, cuz that one with a shroud costs like 50 bucks, and you can get a core for under 20 and make a shroud out of cardboard or whatever for free...
and get a diff pump that one is kinda little not enough flow, and if you did get that setup, you would want to get the shroud...

i like all that stuff, its just that you can make a setup for cheaper and could be better,

oh yea, that blocok, i dontknow anything about it but i like it cuz it seem s too be cool, and prob works great

Thanks for your advice. I ordered the following:
Gemini Spiral High Volume ($35 - DTek)
DTek Basic Radiator ($30 - DTek)
VIA Aqua 1300 370GHP ($24 - Be Cooling)

I'll make a report of how well it works once I have the pump (Wednesday) and the Waterblocks and Radiator (Both Saturday).

I am hoping to start working on a GeForce4Ti water block tomorrow (More on that later :))

maskedgeek said:
actually that would kinda suck.... cuz the thing about the circle thing is that the water hasta swirl it has a lot of turblience and it swirls extrememly fast!

actually i think the water would swirl around the outside of the circle and have verylittlr impact on the center core but i think they just wanted to make a cheap yet effective water block that they can produce at a dime a dozen. and sell it for heaps of profits.

and i'm with masked geek its definetly more rewarding to make ur own....:beer:

sorry i didnt realize how bad that sounded, i didnt mean any harm or offence by that post... i can see were it would come from, but,

yea i dont think ill ever not build my own stuff....

Wurde to the Geek !!!

Homemade rulz .. Its more satisfying to see your :Own" block in action ..

I agree also with having mass above the core .. as long as its thin enuff suface area to dump heat to the water .. and the water smacks against it with mad turbulance :)

Back