• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

i post to much but on to my post :). Could i make a radiator by bending about 3 feet of copper tubing in an s shape about 9 times or so and sticking copper fins in between with some sauder? i have about 9 feet of thick and thin copper piping around so i am not really wanting to go spend money on a radiator that i could make in my basement. only problem i am wondering about is will it cool well.

res cus the water has more of a chance to get back to room temp... if you realy want a cool temp build a bong they are cheep to make and provide better temps you just need to remember to fill it.

ssjwizard said:
res cus the water has more of a chance to get back to room temp... if you realy want a cool temp build a bong they are cheep to make and provide better temps you just need to remember to fill it.
And you have remember to bring them to the LAN parties..

no one said spacificly for lan's this guy is looking for quick temp drops at low cost bong would be for him i think im gona build a custom case with built in bong! will be a tight mod. the air inttake comming out of the side with the evap tube comming out of the top. make the whole thing out of acrylic.

ssjwizard said:
no one said spacificly for lan's this guy is looking for quick temp drops at low cost bong would be for him i think im gona build a custom case with built in bong! will be a tight mod. the air inttake comming out of the side with the evap tube comming out of the top. make the whole thing out of acrylic.
Ah. That would look tight, be quite, and work quite well.

I just ordered a Gemini Sprial WB and a basic radiator, so I don't need a bong, but I am thinking of how to build one out on my deck so that I have no fans :) I would run the pipes out the window and have the bong out there... I'll run a price sheet later, and if it won't cost too much, I may go for it!

the only problem with your plan is that copper gets holes when you bend it alot.

besides i picked one up from my local junkyard:D

madcow235 said:
well if it would suck which knowing my mechanical skills it would i will just buy one from dangerden. anyone know whats cooler inline or res?

why dont u just buy a second hand heater core... there only 15-30 dollars. and they usually do the job great. i'm using one

go to an auto zone and get the heater core out of a 1986 cheve caprice its 16.95 small and cools like a demon

Penti said:
hey! you can make a rad like this guy http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3362 but i think a cheap/god heater core would preform better..

Wow was tat a radiator?? looks like it belongs in an art gallery pretty funky. thats the type of rad u want in ur living room lol.
and yah i think it wont give as good a results as a heater core. but looking at he size of the thing it is huge and can take massive flows. its got quite alot of surface area too

Of all the WC parts you DON'T want to make, it's the radiator.
Look at a radiator, any radiator, do you think that they go to
all that construction trouble for fun? :)

The loop of copper tubing will work, it just may not be
efficient enough. :(

Back