Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray
Forum Jump

CD-Rom Drive Brand Names???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-02-02, 10:17 PM Thread Starter   #1
Staz

CD-Rom Drive Brand Names???

My CD-Rom is dying. It refuses to read some disc and get errors reading others. I can use the disc in another system on my network and access and read from it fine. So I know it is the drive that is going bad. I need to replace it. 52x and 56x CD-Roms are all within a coulpe dollars of each other so cost is not a factor. Out of the following drive which do you find to be a quality drive, which can take high FSB better, and which is quietest.

LG (GOLDSTAR) 52X IDE INTERNAL CD-ROM, MODEL# GCR-8521B
Samsung SC152LEB 52X CD-ROM
Artec 56x IDE CDROM Model 94E-0034
Lite On 52x Cd Rom - Model LTN-526
CYBERDRIVE 56X MAX EIDE INTERNAL CD-ROM DRIVE
AOPEN CD-952E 52x CDROM
ASUS CD-S520 CD-ROM DRIVE

Thnx

Old 06-02-02, 10:39 PM   #2
William
Prodigal Son Moderator

10 Year Badge

LG, Lite On, and Asus are probably the three best bets of those. Don't know specifically about handling it, but those are the three best brands in the group.

House: This is the only way! Sometimes solutions are NP complete and there's nothing anyone can do about it! Foreman, sneak into the physics department and reroute their servers to ours, we need the extra processors if we don't want this equation to go quadratic on us. Chase, patch the memory leak and install Matlab 9.3.
Chase: Shouldn't we be using Mathematica for potentially asymptotic functions?
House: When I want your opinion, I'll do an affine transformation to get it. I'm off to see Cuddy. Those parabolic eigenvalues of hers must be good for something.
William is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-07-02, 07:58 PM Thread Starter   #3
Staz

Just to let everyone know, I went with the ASUS. I don't know how well it handles high FSB because my NIC limits me to 106. But I can tell you that it is extremely quiet. Wait a min. Let me rephase that. It is extremely quiet. I can't hear it over the case fans.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Storage
Storage SSDs, HDDs, CD/DVD/Bluray