• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

We need to convert some CRUNCHERS into FOLDERS!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
I mean, has anybody asked the crunchers in the seti forum? Do they know the situation that were in? I guess they could be in a similar situation as we are with Rage, I have no idea. Maybe they would help us out for a week or two:p

PS - You all better watch your backs, I'm moving up fast and adding CPU's like nobody's business!:D

We are in a similar situation, fighting to gain ground on AMDMB.Com. Always could use some new crunchers ;)

Currently ranked 28th in the world and fighting some tough competition, and they only get tougher.

J :cool:

nikhsub1 said:
I mean, has anybody asked the crunchers in the seti forum? Do they know the situation that were in? I guess they could be in a similar situation as we are with Rage, I have no idea. Maybe they would help us out for a week or two:p

PS - You all better watch your backs, I'm moving up fast and adding CPU's like nobody's business!:D

You think to small, I think all the Seti crunchers should start folding.

You see when ET wants us to find him he'll let us know....Now with folding our destiny is in our hands if we can find a cure for our Ailments.

So many people have lost a love one and that is a whole lot more of a sombering thought than looking for a green martian.

Do I believe we are alone in the universe? heck no! But I know alot of people are suffering and losing loved ones, thats why I am folding.

Crunchers

We can't go actively recruiting them or that might start some bad blood. We can only hope that they will see the light!

Thanks to the members of the Seti team who have already joined our cause, even if only on a temporary basis. We appreciate it guys! The competition over here is hotter than that Quasar you were scoping last week!!;)

Re: Re: We need to convert some CRUNCHERS into FOLDERS!

Silversinksam said:

You think to small, I think all the Seti crunchers should start folding.

You see when ET wants us to find him he'll let us know....Now with folding our destiny is in our hands if we can find a cure for our Ailments.

So many people have lost a love one and that is a whole lot more of a sombering thought than looking for a green martian.

Do I believe we are alone in the universe? heck no! But I know alot of people are suffering and losing loved ones, thats why I am folding.

Amen!:cool:

I know that this would be hard to organize and probablycost someone some money but, Organize a contest....we each advertise a contest in our sig for new folders...ex: on June 30 the contest begins and first member signed up on that day to reach 100WU by say july 30 gets a new "whatchamacallit"for his/her rig. This may get a few people to at least sign up and who knows may end up like me and stay onboard.
i Origionaly was working for SETI and posted a polite goodbye note on the SETI forum saying I was helping out Team 32, now I am hooked.

53K and counting down

Just to remind you guys you need to put in more effort to keep us at bay.

On the other hand

"If you can't beat us join us"

Anyways whatever the outcome and whichever your team

Keep Folding

Re: 53K and counting down

CoolLion said:
Just to remind you guys you need to put in more effort to keep us at bay.

On the other hand

"If you can't beat us join us"

Anyways whatever the outcome and whichever your team

Keep Folding

Quite the contrary...the date is still getting pushed back. We're growing, and Folding more, which pushes it back further still. So, to quote the old tuna fish commercials......

"Sorry Charlie....." :D

B,

anyone ever think thazt while people might make a difference folding protiens that could find cures for ailments if we take those cpus running seti away from that effort we might miss out on findijng someone out there who already has the answers?

I think chances of finding a cure are bigger than finding ET. Since we started looking for ET millions of CPU cycles where put into that with no real results. Since we started looking for a cure for leukemia we found one that will help around 90% of the cases. Aids is no longer always lethal since we worked on a cure.

I hope ET will come home and bring the cure to whatever aills us. But in the meantime i think we need to help ourselves and therefore folding is a much more viable project.

CoolLion said:
I think chances of finding a cure are bigger than finding ET. Since we started looking for ET millions of CPU cycles where put into that with no real results. Since we started looking for a cure for leukemia we found one that will help around 90% of the cases. Aids is no longer always lethal since we worked on a cure.

I hope ET will come home and bring the cure to whatever aills us. But in the meantime i think we need to help ourselves and therefore folding is a much more viable project.

This is hard to say cause you're on the wrong team but, I TOTALLY AGREE:eek:

arkan said:
anyone ever think thazt while people might make a difference folding protiens that could find cures for ailments if we take those cpus running seti away from that effort we might miss out on findijng someone out there who already has the answers?

my question is, why does everyone think ET is going to be so far ahead of us- because of movies and stories?? what if we find ET and just talking to them makes our IQ's drop. It could happen:)

NASsoccer said:

my question is, why does everyone think ET is going to be so far ahead of us- because of movies and stories?? what if we find ET and just talking to them makes our IQ's drop. It could happen:)

LOL. ALl that effort to find a backwards society where they just learned about fire.

if we could get dummer the polticians and lawyers of the world would have demonstrated this to great effect by now on the rest of us....wait.....crapo thats right only stupid people are breeding now....damn n/m lol

and as far as finding et goes....exactly how much of the entire universe has been covered with all those cpu cycles? there are a finite number of proteins in the world that could ever be folded. thaT number is huge im sure but its pales in coimparison to the vast numbers of planets galaxys and solar systems inhabiting our plane of existance....thats why i fold instead of seti now bc i know ill see results from this at some point in my own lifetime

nikhsub1 said:

This is hard to say cause you're on the wrong team but, I TOTALLY AGREE:eek:

Clarification:

We are on the same team;

The Folding@Home Team

:)

An other argument for folding:

Not so long ago we (the human race) were able to map the complete DNA (by using lot's of cpu cycles). This is a real result and apart from helping in the cause to fight diseases it also helps in protecting the innocent from criminals and from (un)justice.

Folding protines is a finite project with a finit number of options. I think someone can do the math to calculate exactly how many possiblities have to be calculated.

The seti program explores an unlimited amount of signals in an unlimited universe. The number of signals to work on increases faster than the number of signals processed. There has never been a real result yet. This can be for a limited number of reasons:

1.ET lives so far away that his call home has not reached us yet
2.ET is still so unevolved that he does not know he can call home
3.ET is so evolved that he does not want us to find his home cause we (the human race) usualy destroy the homes of others

In all these cases ET will not come to earth to help us find a cure

Back