• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do I know where my CPU temp sensor is?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
An on-die thermal diode has nothing to do with your motherboard. It depends upon what CPU you are using since that is where it is located. In the case of AMD processors, the Athlon MP and XP CPUs have an on-die thermal diode, as does the Morgan Duron.

Most, but not all AMD motherboards have thermistors for determining system and CPU temperature. The CPU thermistor is nestled down inside the CPU socket well. The accuracy of those thermistors vary from poor to fair. The fair ones nudge up against the bottom of the CPU. The poor ones don't.

Very few AMD motherboards, like the ASUS A7V333 actually read the CPU on-die themal diode. In the case of the A7V333, despite having an excellent opportunity for good accuracy, ASUS cheaped out on the detection circuitry, not to mention grossly misreports the actual reading about 10C high (ASUS Syndrome). Most of the new VIA KT333 and soon to be released KT400 motherboards make some attempt to read the on-die thermal diode. I am only familiar with the A7V333. It does such a poor job that I had to do major modifications to my CPU to get around it and use an external thermal diode reader.

Hoot

Back