• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accuracy of Voltage monitors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XiveX

I have a DigiDoc5 and use MBM5 also. They both report different voltage outputs out of my Antec True Power 480w PSU.

DD 5 reports:

5v - 4.99-5.08
12v - 12.01 - 12.09

MBM5 reports:

5v - 4.92
12v - 11.80

Which is more accurate? I tend to think the DD5 would be since its a HW based monitor, and not software versus MBM5, but still...I don't know...anyone have any ideas or guesses?

XiveX

hmmm software monitored voltages might be measuing at a different location on the board have the minor voltage drop ur seeing but if ur 5 volt like is above 4.8 it should erally matter all that much.

Don't trust either. Assume that both are close, but not exact. The only readouts I trust even a little bit are the ones in your BIOS screen.

Best way to measure and be sure is to use a multimeter and test the voltage at a drive connector lead.

Since both read pretty close to each other, I would not worry much- assume they are both wrong, but very close to being right :)

Also- your PC has internal and external voltages. MBM is reading your voltages after they have passed thru a mile of circuit traces and resistors and junk; that is an internal voltage. It's more likely to be closer to what the real voltage is inside components. The DD is reading voltages straight from the power supply, before they go thru the system- external. The place you measure voltages really alters what those voltages mean.

Back