• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what does refresh rate mean

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compexpert

Disabled
Hey what does refresh rate mean i checked in sisoft and my moniter can go up to 100hz thats what it says but what does it do do i see anything in games or something myn right now it set on optimale refresh rate

Check out http://www.howstuffworks.com/monitor6.htm

Refresh Rate
In monitors based on CRT technology, the refresh rate is the number of times that the image on the display is drawn each second. If your CRT monitor has a refresh rate of 72 Hertz (Hz), then it cycles through all the pixels from top to bottom 72 times a second. Refresh rates are very important because they control flicker, and you want the refresh rate as high as possible. Too few cycles per second and you will notice a flickering, which can lead to headaches and eye strain.

hmm so the higher the more eye strain ?

becuase a did a little testing the optimal thingy was using a 100hz refresh rate is that to high ? whats the best to be on ?

you should put you're refresh rate as high as the monitor will let you have, 72Hz is supposed to be flicker free but personally i like 100Hz

i tried al of them i dont notice any diff between anyof them oh well i just leav it on optimal it setsit on 100 hz

Before I use to run it at 60hz, and I use to see the screen flicker, now it's at 85 and it's perfect, don't see a thing!

i gotta have at least 75hz minimum to be able to look at the screen. Lol, don't you hate when you are on someone elses comp and its set to like 640x480 256 colors and a 60hz refresh? It's like a laser shooting into my brain lol.

Lol, don't you hate when you are on someone elses comp and its set to like 640x480 256 colors and a 60hz refresh?

First thing I do to them is set their rate and res higher then center and size the damn screen to get rid of the inch of black they have around it.

You should see a difference. Watch how your mouse moves across the screen when you raise the refresh rate. You'll see it moves alot smoother with a higher refresh rate.

Like when my monitor is defaulted at 60Hz and I move it up to 120Hz (dependind on resolution, usually have it around 75Hz I believe.), I see a HUGE difference.

Back