• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pelts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paikuhan

Registered
I want to get into pelt cooling. I currently have a Maze 3 from dangerden. Is there a way to put a pelt on it, or do I need to buy the maze 3-1?

Thanks

welcome to the forums, Paikuhan!

You could stil use a pelt, but it would be a pain. Peltiers do not attain their full heat pumping goodness until you apply a hundred pounds or more of clamping pressure. But, you could always try gluing to the 'block with epoxy, that was how everybody did it before we found out about cold plates/clamping pressure. It will work, just not as well as the 3-1 would. hmm, maybe you can buy the parts to make your 3 into a 3-1?

|PuNiSh3R|, please keep all your buying and selling in the classifieds section.

MoR, not everyone knows of the FS/FT forums.. and not everyone goes to them.

I am simply telling him that I have one.. I didn't say a price or anything.. just said I have one that I am getting rid of.. so calm your *** down buddy.

I believe your best bet is to buy a 3-1. Besides, when running a pelt rig it's a good idea to have a spare non-pelt waterblock handy for those "just in case you need it times."

I would recommend you reading a guide on peltiers from this Peltier section in our OC Database:

http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index21.asp#PELTIERS

I wouldn't recommend pelting, it is extremely expensive (From scratch you're looking at 30ish-40ish for the pelt + a 100.00 PSU [You can't run peltiers on your actual PSU that's connected to the motherboard, it doesn't have the right amps and voltage to support it, the new 651 watt Enermax are designed for this, but then again very risky).

Well.. the type of peltier you will want to use will take over 12V so forget the PC PSU idea all together..

I agree with Yodums...

Peltiers are pretty cheap really.. it's a good way to start off in extreme cooling.. and then move up to the more.. extreme stuff :).

Go look at the FS/FT forums.. look at my sale.. with the 172W peltier and PSU.. the peltier and cold plate is sold but the PSU is still there. PM me for more info .

In answer to your question, yes. I have a maze two on right now. I did epoxy it to the waterblock with as epxoy. I applied the epoxy after lapping the block and then used a 1/4" cold plate to hold it in place along with two small c-clamps. When it was dry I did all the foam fitting. I drilled the cold plate to match the same mounting holes as the waterblock and used just the pressure of the hold down screws to hold it all together. This however is not the best solution but is effective. Gained another 100Mhz out of a rather stubborn processor. Don't worry much about ambient temperature any more. It is of course idling right now and is idling at 12c and 2.2v. Under load it is showing 29c or so. Answers your question I hope however the advise given earlier is correct in that this is not the ideal setup. (Leaves me room for improvement).:)

P.S. Went in and editted the register the other day (reg93) and the temps fell through the floor. Bad idea as condensation becomes a BIG player.

I belive that you can purcase mounting untils from danger den to convert your danger den 3 to the 3-1- i know the maze 2 could do this-
Spyder

The Spyder said:
I belive that you can purcase mounting untils from danger den to convert your danger den 3 to the 3-1- i know the maze 2 could do this-
Spyder

I need to look into this. I know they had the conversion from 2/1 to 2/2. Of course the plate is less than satisfactory on the 50mm 226w tec. It needs to be thicker.

Back