• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what kind of liquid?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoBoDEATH

Registered
I have a swiftech kit on a P4 socket 423 1.8Ghz. I used about 40% antifreeze and 60% water. Why am i only getting 91 degress? I could get in the 80's with a fan. Maybe i need a different liquid? I also have a few very small air bubbles, could this hurt my cooling abilities?

Stop using antifreeze. It's to thick and will greatly reduce your cooling. By how much I'm not sure as I've never used it. Get something like water wetter, Hyper lube super coolant(my favorite, no nasty smell like WW), purple ice or whatever you have in your local area. It will be branded as something to help your radiator cool better.

RoBoDEATH said:
I have a swiftech kit on a P4 socket 423 1.8Ghz. I used about 40% antifreeze and 60% water. Why am i only getting 91 degress? I could get in the 80's with a fan. Maybe i need a different liquid? I also have a few very small air bubbles, could this hurt my cooling abilities?
Antifreeze is a terrible at heat transfer, it holds it. You are using WAY too much antifreeze! Use distilled water and and ounce of watter wetter or use like 5% antifreeze. Water is the best at transfering heat.

Will food dye affect the cooling any? I don't see why but just asking. I'm gonna stop bye on my way home if it stops raining and check on some water wetter or whatever i can find. I have alot of bottles of Aberfoyle Springs drinking water lying around, would this be ok to put in it?

RoBoDEATH said:
Will food dye affect the cooling any? I don't see why but just asking. I'm gonna stop bye on my way home if it stops raining and check on some water wetter or whatever i can find. I have alot of bottles of Aberfoyle Springs drinking water lying around, would this be ok to put in it?
Use DISTILLED water. Regular drinking water still has minerals in it that will grime the system over time.

I have been trying a few different things lately........

Antifreeze is terrible.........but i am currently running windshield washer antifreeze/water.....about 50/50...

It seems to be working great so far..no difference in temp than straight water....no algae either

Garrett_thief2 said:
I have been trying a few different things lately........

Antifreeze is terrible.........but i am currently running windshield washer antifreeze/water.....about 50/50...

It seems to be working great so far..no difference in temp than straight water....no algae either
The windshield stuff is not ethyl glycol, it is alchohol or similar so it works better.

Yup...ands its not like we really need to worry about freezing......we only use antifreeze to stop the algae...

I ran clorox bleach in my system for a while...maybe 30% bleach.I only ran it to clean my rads out.....i knew they were plugging cuz my flow dropped......the bleach cleaned it all out......temps were good with the bleach too...but it was stinky...
Windshield washer antifreeze doesn't stink.....

Methanol is the main active chemical in windshield washer fluid. I ran into a problem using Methanol with, had a aluminum/copper WB which started to react. Good thing I noticed the air in my system that wasnt there before.

Everything in my system is copper...so i haven't had any problems so far...plus its got that cool blue color.......

BTW:Windshield washer fluid and windshield washer antifreeze ar different.....the AF usually doesn't have the detergent in it like some regular stuff does....

Lord_of_Decay said:
Personally I think Purpole Ice looks alot better going through the lines then water wetter. After all with a blue cold cathode the purple looks great.:D

I agree Purple Ice does look way cooler than WW in a Blue light setup:burn:

Back