• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

win xp and reinstall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nyorker

Registered
when i get my new mb next week can i use my old hard drive with win xp? or do i have to do a full install? i dont want to lose any of my programs? also how can i find out my serial cd key so i use the right cd? i have 2 win xp home that i bought>

its generally best to reinstall because the os has drivers for the various components of the mobo. ive done it before where i booted up in safe mode with the new mobo, replaced the drivers and rebooted and it worked, but i dont think its recommended.

Welcome to the forums!

XP should detect the drivers and settings for your new mobo, so a re-install is NOT a necesity...however I would HIGHLY recommend it, if you have the time. It is much better ;)

nyorker said:
also how can i find out my serial cd key so i use the right cd? i have 2 win xp home that i bought>

Well if you bought them they came with keys

so try one if it does not work try the other

(if u reload your OS) being its Xp u should not have to

plizzo said:
its generally best to reinstall because the os has drivers for the various components of the mobo. ive done it before where i booted up in safe mode with the new mobo, replaced the drivers and rebooted and it worked, but i dont think its recommended.
I have done this as well, and I have hsd good luck! *knocks on wood*..
I have also talked at length with microsoft about this. It is NOT recommended! although it will most likely work. There a a few drivers that are spefic to each chipset and the like. These incorrect drivers can cause data corruption at startup... Yadda yadda yadda.... You get the point.... Back up and give it a try..... If it dont work.... reinstall!

Take your XP cd , there is a cab file named deploy.cab there ,

unzip this to your systemdrive and run the sysprep.exe

your system wil shut down . then change your mainboard , and reboot ,

more info in the readme files included in the cab file

You might just view this as a good opportunity to clean up your windows installation. (i.e., reinstall) It should be done at least once a year, anyway, and only takes an hour to be back up with video driver and internet connection. -- Paul

Back