• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8KHA+ FSB Speeds..How High?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
I'm very happy with this mobo: 1 bios flash to get rid of an annoying reboot issue and they've been rock solid.

My question is this: How high have others gotten their FSB to?

When I first stated with these boards I made it to 166 abd was THRILLED, but the other day I was messing around and tweaked some more....I'm at 170 on one and 174 on the other!

I'm pretty sure I can get some more out of them, with some revised cooling, but I am curious....

Congratulations on a successful overclock.

I've gotten to 207MHz FSB on both of mine but I've been concentrating on a couple of dually boards lately (one at 150MHz FSB and the other at 145MHz). I attained this setting by taking advantage of the 3/4 memory divisor, with the memory at 1:1 I've gotten to 168MHz with Crucial PC2100.

Now that you're really into it, you should be able to get the FSB even higher. The 8KHA+ motherboard is one of the best overclocking boards around. Note, that is the 8KHA+, with the emphasis on "+". This board has the improved KT266A chipset that many users have been able to get the FSB to 200MHz and beyond with air-cooling. Depending on the integrity of your components this is a relatively easy task with the 3/4 memory divisor employed on this board.

First of all, you must follow the generally accepted rules of overclocking. To be successful, you must get rid of the heat, a high quality HSF must be utilized, along with the usual case housekeeping. Make sure that you have good air flow through the case. As a minimum, most will recommend at least two case fans, one drawing fresh air in and another exhausting hot air at the rear. You've got to get rid of the hot air and replace it with cooler air from outside the case, it does no good to recycle hot air.

I'm not sure which BIOS is the hot thing right now, but I've used both the 11-30 as well as the infamous "BETA BIOS" officially called 8khal00.

Next I would look at the power supply. The 8KHA+ has been reported to be a bit finicky in this regard. Pay particular attention to the +5V line, not just to the amount of voltage, but also to the stability of this line. I would say that you could probably get as low as the lower 4.9 range but stability is important. I've had good luck with the CompUSA 400W unit for about $60 and available locally.

Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM generally has no problem running at 150MHz, this is where the 3/4 memory divisor comes into play. When running the FSB at 200MHz, the memory bus is at 150MHz when the 3/4 divisor is utilized. This setting can be found in the BIOS on the advanced chipset features page, it would be the top line, DRAM settings or something like that. Set it to run at 100MHz, it will increase proportionately at 3/4 of the FSB.

Other peripheral components can dictate success or failure as well. The NIC card in particular must be of high quality, I've had very good results using LincSys LNE100TX cards myself. Video cards and some Sound Blaster cards also don't like the very high FSB speeds. If necessary, turn the video card back to 2X or so to help out with that. You're on your own as far as Sound Blaster goes, I've personally had no problems with my SB LIVE! Platinum card.

Another thing, to take advantage of these higher FSB speeds, you will have to lower your multiplier, an unlocked processor is a must, For instance, you will not get an XP 1600+ to boot with a 200MHz FSB and a 10.5X multiplier (2100MHz). Of course, your CPU can also limit how high you can get. Most of the notable steppings are generally about even across the board, but not always.

I usually set the core voltage to the boards maximum and increase the DIMM voltage by +0.30.

Although I haven't had the opportunity to try the newer PC2700 or PC3000 memory, I would think that when using this higher speed memory, you should be able to run your memory bus straight up at 1:1 to the FSB and realize more memory bandwidth and even better performance (By the way, SETI loves memory bandwicth, the higher the better!)

There has been much debate as to the presence of a 1/5 PCI divisor on these boards with good arguments on both sides, I can't argue either way. If there is no 1/5th then there is something else obviously going on with timings or some such. It doesn’t matter in the end, just take advantage of it.

As usual, your results may vary. Watch your temperatures and see what you can get.

Good Luck!

Hey, Frank!
Thanks for the reply, and the OC compliment :D

I've had these boards for quite a while now, and they are excellent.....neither has been running at defaults for anything since the day after I set 'em up- about five months ago.

But things have been busy, and I haven't had time to tweak much until this week, so I was surprised to get the fsb's so much higher than my initial attempts had; 2 or 3 mhz, yes, but not what I did get!

207 fsb, NICE! Has that worked out long-term, or just a stability test setting?

Both of these XP1700s are unlocked, and running at lower divisors: 10 and 9.5, memory bus set at 133, and maxed out on voltages. Volt mods will be happening soon, btw.

Right now the high ambient temps and humidity are keeping temps up (one is water cooled), but I have a few more tricks up my sleeve there:D

When its cool out (night) I can get both stable at 180, so I know more is available, I was just looking to see what others are getting from this board, and how MUCH more I might expect.

(EDIT:eek:h yeah- my ram is cheapo generic pc2100, but with Micron chips)

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying those boards. It sounds like you're on the right track.

I had no problem running consistently at 200+FSB, I would still be there if not for my taking of the XP's to migrate them to one of the duallies, and the time I've spent tweaking them.

If you are looking for the highest FSB, then I would lower the memory bus to 100MHz and try booting right at 200MHz FSB. Increase the core voltage and memory voltage as necessary. If this works though you will find that your memory performance will probably drop since the memory bus will be at a lower speed, although you should be able to use a lower latency setting.

This lower memory bus / higher FSB is not a problem for some apps which are CPU intensive such folding. However other programs, SETI in particular, perform better with the higher memory bus. Run some benches and compare them along with some "real world" comparisons. You may find that you would be better off with a lower FSB and the increased memory bus when running the memory "straight up".

It's all trial and error at this point, sometimes I think it’s mostly error.

Let us know how it goes.

Good Luck!

Back