• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Veterans, I've got some ?s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedy4500

I've got a couple questions for you veterans. I'm literally a week or two away from beginning to build my college computer. It's gonna be an Athlon system. As for some cooling questions:

I'm looking at the Swiftech MCX[C]370 series. Should I go copper base or aluminum? There won't be major overclocking because this computer needs to last at least 2 or 3 years and I cannot risk it. I just need a good heatsink (for little cash, and also consider the question below).

Will the 3 tab socket clip be enough for the heatsink? It will be transported a couple times a year over long distances (Chicago to Philly), and I also plan on installing an 80mm fan to keep noise down. Should I be worried about excess weight on the socket even though it is a 3 tap clip? The copper version would be much heavier, and that is the main reason I am considering the aluminum version. I'd really like to use this Swiftech because they're not too expensive, but if the clips could possibly fail, I will spend the extra dough on the Alpha 8045.

Third question: which is better, Arctic Silver, or Arctic Alumina?

#4: Would you position the fan to blow or suck on the heatsink? I'm thinking that the best ordeal would be to blow, and make a duct for cool air from outside the case. My dad is a race car mechanic, so drilling a hole in the side of a case is not a big project.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I don't have the money to screw up on this thing. I need to make sure I get everything done correctly the first time. Thank you to anyone who helps.

speedy4500 said:
I've got a couple questions for you veterans. I'm literally a week or two away from beginning to build my college computer. It's gonna be an Athlon system. As for some cooling questions:

I'm looking at the Swiftech MCX[C]370 series. Should I go copper base or aluminum? There won't be major overclocking because this computer needs to last at least 2 or 3 years and I cannot risk it. I just need a good heatsink (for little cash, and also consider the question below).

I haven't used either version, but they are good. You might get better, or different opinions, but a lot comes down to personal choice

Will the 3 tab socket clip be enough for the heatsink? It will be transported a couple times a year over long distances (Chicago to Philly), and I also plan on installing an 80mm fan to keep noise down. Should I be worried about excess weight on the socket even though it is a 3 tap clip? The copper version would be much heavier, and that is the main reason I am considering the aluminum version. I'd really like to use this Swiftech because they're not too expensive, but if the clips could possibly fail, I will spend the extra dough on the Alpha 8045.

I would NOT recommend moving a computer with ANY heatsink attached long distance: take it off before you go and put it back when you arrive! So look for something with a secure, but easy to use attachment

Third question: which is better, Arctic Silver, or Arctic Alumina?

Arctic Silver 3 is the most popular right now

#4: Would you position the fan to blow or suck on the heatsink? I'm thinking that the best ordeal would be to blow, and make a duct for cool air from outside the case. My dad is a race car mechanic, so drilling a hole in the side of a case is not a big project.

The best results are usually gotten with the fan blowing on the heatsink- but NOT always. I have used ducts with GREAT results, btw, and if you do that you definitely want to blow on the sink

I know it's a lot of questions, but I don't have the money to screw up on this thing. I need to make sure I get everything done correctly the first time. Thank you to anyone who helps.

Not that many questions, and all good ones. I haven't been heatsink shopping fo a while, but there are some that I've been seeing mention of: CoolerMaster HHC-001 and the AX-7, not sure who makes it. Do a "search" on the forum for more info, and there are reviews on the main page of OC.Com.

hi, here's my opinion:

1. Might as well get the copper base, if you can afford it. All things being equal, copper always performs better than aluminum.

2. I've been transporting my case around a lot with no problems, and I have a heavy solid copper CAK38 that only uses one pair of socket tabs. You just need to be a bit gentle with the case when you lug it around. Definately remove the HSF if you ever have to ship your system, tho:D

3. Heat sink grease is all pretty much the same, as far as I'm concerned. SVC has AS3 for a great price and free shipping right now.
Might as well get that.

4. I think your idea is right on the money.

Good luck at college! And let us know how the system goes:D

I'm with Monster of Rock, it does seem like a good choice. About choosing Alu/copper and asIII/alumina, this is about how cool you want the cpu. asIII will outperform Alumina by 1-3degrees, and the cobber might do the same over alu. I would suggest you getting the asIII at least, if used properly you will have enough for 80-100 computers (according to AS themselves), so consider that a one time investement. For the copper/Alu, it's all up to you.

Try to make the fan suck once while priming for 1hour and blow also under load. Choose the one that give you best temps.

Seems like you have done your homework ;), this cooling will workd great for you as far as I can see :cool:

elysium

yah choose a copper based hsf. if ur not doing major overclocks u should be fine. i recomend using as3 as well a 3 gram tube wil last ages. thats if u manage not to lose it like me lol.

abt the transporing it should be alright but just to be asfe u should remove it when shipping with one of those delivery companys. i wouldnt be suprised if they were playing chat with ur comp.

if ur moving it ur self it shouldnt be a problem.

As you will not be overclocking, i see no point in getting a heatsink with a copper base, or even that heatsink which is quite expensive, i would recomend the millennium glaciatorII which is a good, cheap and most of all quiet heatsink.

if you do go for the swiftech, swiftech recomend removing the heatsink when you transport it, because a huge lump of metal flying around a case will kill everything.

Artic silver III has the edge over Alumiua but the difference is very small. application is more improtant then the grease itself. see www.articsilver.com for instructions.

try sucking and blowing, it is different for every person as they have different cases, diferent heat sources and different amounts of fans.

As for installing a extra 80mm fan. use two, one at the front blowing in and one at the back blowing out .it will conform to AMD's recomended layout then and reduce temprature.

Back