• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FreeBSD installer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
ok well bsd is my os of choice but ive never realy delt with its setup in depth and as i am now reinstalling it i am stuck at configureing the Xserver as i have never manualy from scratch set it up. anyways my problem comes from the video card setup its the only part i dont know what data to enter. im currently running a visiontek Xtasy Geforce 2 gts-V 32mb ddr card all help here is superbly apreciated!!!!

Run xf86config to generate a base config file, then tweak it for your system. You'll want to use the nv driver for your video card.

XWRed1 said:
You'll want to use the nv driver for your video card.

Forgive my ignorance or old information, but is nv not for Nvidia TNT/M64/Geforce256 and nvidia for GeForce 2/3/4 ?

David

ok the only nvidia card driver i could find in the list is for the old geforce cards that never broke 16mb... if anyone knows what i can do with detail please post i hate windows!

If its a new version of X, it should go higher. X 4.2.0 goes up to a Geforce3 with the nv driver, which also drives the rest of the Nvidia stuff. No Geforce4 yet outside of Nvidia's drivers.

i think i have X 3.08 or somthing along those lines.... ill install the newer version of X that will probably work.

ssjwizard said:
i think i have X 3.08 or somthing along those lines.... ill install the newer version of X that will probably work.

X 3.08 is ancient. X 3.3.6 was the last 3.x version I believe.

4.2 is the latest version, I have 4.1 and it uses my GeForce 2 OK.

yea well i havnt gotten all the updates for it ive ben running Freebsd for a while ill just get the newer version and it all be good.

Back