• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I make use of 512MB on Win98SE???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ltww

I had to pass up WinXP/2K for Win98SE, cus I can't get my modem and some other things to work straight yet. I heard that 98 can't phisically address more than 256MB mem, so how can I make use of the other 256MB? Should I disable virtual mem?

generaly the 9x systems use the sweet spot with 256 [as you know]. virtual memory settings will not help you overcome the 256 blues i have heard of a program [once] that may help maybe with this reply\bump someone with more knowledge of this program\settings can help. As far as i know if you really need to use more memory find a way to make 2000 or xp work for you.

You may be able to make a 256MB RAMDrive and use that for swap. How you would go about setting that up I do not know.

This is funny. I had 512 MB in Win98SE originally and never had a problem with windows detecting and, ostensibly, using it. Are there other issues one should be aware of?

I personally agree with the ramdrive option. (But finding a way to get Win2K to work is better). Any howto's out there? -- Paul

EDIT: A google search turned up this for Win98 and
this for Windows XP. I haven't used either myself.

Last edited:
it can see it

but it wont use it

i say ram disk i woudnt do the swap file on it but you can what ever program you want to run fast on there and they start darn quick

i would recomend one but all mine are made for 2k

why don't u just get a new modem for like $20 bucks or less and go with XP, it;ll save you a lot of headache

Mobile20 said:
Win98 is crap compared to the NT crop of OS's. Get a new modem.
Well, let's not jump too fast here ... maybe throwing away hardware isn't an option ...

At any rate, please tell us what kind of modem it is -- we may be able to help. After all, winmodems "don't work" in linux, but they can be made to do so ... :) -- Paul

Only reason I suggested it is because Windows 98 will never take full advantage of 512MB of RAM properly. It just wasn't made for it.

If the only reason you haven’t upgraded to XP is because of a modem that doesn’t work (tell us the modem model and maybe we can sort that out), in a day and age when modem's are almost obsolete and a 56K modem can be picked up used for a negligible amount of cash; is just silly.

Mobile20 said:
Only reason I suggested it is because Windows 98 will never take full advantage of 512MB of RAM properly. It just wasn't made for it.

If the only reason you haven’t upgraded to XP is because of a modem that doesn’t work (tell us the modem model and maybe we can sort that out), in a day and age when modem's are almost obsolete and a 56K modem can be picked up used for a negligible amount of cash; is just silly.
Well, that's certainly a good point, and honestly, I'd be inclined to agree with you. (I'd follow your advice.) The funny thing is, though, is that after some tweaking, I got most of my unsupported hardware to work ...

Maybe if mobile20 can tell us what kind of modem he has, we can try to help him out! WinXP, on the whole, is worth migrating to from Win98. If nothing else, a dual-boot situation can make it better ... :)

-- Paul

Captain Slug said:
If Win98SE is so bad with huge amounts of memory, then how is it that it's utilizing all 384MB of mine when I run JKII?
That's a good question. It seemed like it used all 512 of mine in 98, too, but it may also be a question of how fully it uses it ... -- Paul

It's not using it, its detecting it. There is a difference.

The memory model that windows 98 uses it horrible.

Oh and macklin01, I dont have a modem, nor am I having any problems. ltww is who is having the problems.

Mobile20 said:

The memory model that windows 98 uses it horrible.

Oh and macklin01, I dont have a modem, nor am I having any problems. ltww is who is having the problems.
Sorry -- my bad. I forgot that when you reply to the thread, the order of the listings reverses ... time to check the eyes out ...

-- Paul

Mobile20 said:

Well, I'm running RAMpage on all of my computers and JKII uses 300MB of RAM when running.
The same information shows in the System Monitor.

you can put any amount of ram in a 9x system and it will run and the os will see it and use it but after 512 performance drops, 256 is the sweet spot as i said running 384 will be fine as well but from 256 to 384 you wont notice a big difference, i ran 384 for a long time but sold the 128 stick because with 256 my machine ran the same. Let us help you to get the rest of your system working with xp\2k as it can be done [like everyone said] it just takes a little work to get some hardware to work but with either a bIOS flash or updated drivers you can get xp\2k up and running and once you do you'll be much happier then any 9x system i know i am.

Back