• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Matthew1001

I was over at Rage 3D and I was looking to put up my avatar. Did you know you have to have 1,000 posts to get an avatar! They did say if you join the Folding@Home team you can have an avatar.

We should do something like this but instead of 1,000 maybe make it 100 or 250.

Personally i'm gonna have to cast my vote against this. I'm not going to comment on rage3d, something like this speaks for itself. We can't be forcing people to do something before they get to benefit from something the forum already offers.

Let's stick to what we've been doing, it's turning out great success. And I have a good feeling that even better things are on the horizen ;)

Keep up the good work folks, we will rise above this.

Fold On.

Oh, and btw, this should have been in Forum Suggestions :p

Cluster said:
Personally i'm gonna have to cast my vote against this. I'm not going to comment on rage3d, something like this speaks for itself. We can't be forcing people to do something before they get to benefit from something the forum already offers.

Let's stick to what we've been doing, it's turning out great success. And I have a good feeling that even better things are on the horizen ;)

Keep up the good work folks, we will rise above this.

Fold On.

Oh, and btw, this should have been in Forum Suggestions :p

I didn't want the SETI people to see it. :D

You have a good point. I think we have a lot of good plans in the works and we should be able to work to get better than Rage 3D.

Rage3D mentioned you'd get an avatar, if you Fold for them. 'nuff said.

You get an avatar here, as soon as you sign up. We don't use that "carrot and stick" method that they do.... In fact, you can run virtually "any" avatar you like here, so long as it conforms to the guidelines set forth in out Forum Policies.

If you pick something that might be improper, the Moderator staff can and will remove it if we recieve complaints on it. ONLY if we recieve complaints, however.

If you have to think "IS this acceptable?", chances are it isn't....

Anyways...that's the deal with Rage...you need to fold for them to get an avatar, or so they said at one point when posting here.. (I think Pojo said that one) And then, it's a "team" av, not one of your own choosing, I believe.

Stick around here....;) Hell...we've got a better popcorn machine, wall to wall carpeting, the bathroom is cleaner, and we've got 3rd place...:D ;)

Fold ON! :beer:

B.

Mr B said:
In fact, you can run virtually "any" avatar you like here, so long as it conforms to the guidelines set forth in out Forum Policies.

If you pick something that might be improper, the Moderator staff can and will remove it if we recieve complaints on it.

/cough JBELL /cough

Mr B said:
Stick around here....;) Hell...we've got a better popcorn machine, wall to wall carpeting, the bathroom is cleaner, and we've got 3rd place...:D ;)

Fold ON! :beer:

B.

I would join the Talibann before I would fold for Rage 3D. :D j/k
But I will never leave.

Greetings fellow folders! I hail from Rage3D, and have stayed on the sidelines for the negative banter between the two teams, but thought I'd just post this before you vilify Rage3D.

It has always been a rule on Rage 3D that no one gets an avatar until they reach the 1,000 post plateau. Does it lead to spamming? Probably, but it's their rule, and it does keep the forums a little cleaner.

Then the folding team got started, and as a bonus to help get the new folding team up and running, the mods would allow new folders w/ less than 1,000 posts to get a designated "Folding for Rage3D" kind of avatar.

Nothing personal, just a "standard issue" kind of thing. You couldn't post your own personal avater, you recieved the Rage3D folding avater. Please remember, the Rage3D folding team was very young, had very few members, and the wu output was tiny. They needed new members, and this was more of a way to advertise than anything, and that's all it is today.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure we would bribe them if we could, but we're just as broke as the next folding team!

FOLD ON!

In one thread we managed to irritate the Seti people and Rage, we're not winning Ms. Congeniality for sure now.

Ms. Los Angeles
(Formally known as Wedo)

Wedo said:
In one thread we managed to irritate the Seti people and Rage, we're not winning Ms. Congeniality for sure now.

Ms. Los Angeles
(Formally known as Wedo)

And we did it all without using their forum/topic with a thread that died 3 days ago. :)
Sit back, relax and have a :beer: to go with the cheesy gift from seti. ;)

Just to clarify, the 1000 post thing has nothing to do with Folding@Home. It wasn't until about a year ago until we allowed avatars at all. It was only for 1000+ people to save bandwidth. At the time, the site was not privately hosted, so saving bandwidth was saving money. Rage3D is still somewhat bandwidth limited, so the avatar limitation remains. Besides, it's something we've grown to love. I prefer to have people rewarded for sticking around for a while. The Folding@Home thing was an afterthought a few months ago after we moved to a private server and can afford a bit more bandwidth. It's just a bonus, not a "dirty trick."

Back