• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Idea for PSU mod, Please Help....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I've got an idea for a mod to my Enermax PSU. The Enermax has a 92 mm Intake fan and a 80 mm Exhaust fan. I'd like to remove the Exhaust fan and place it in the back of the power supply blowing in as an intake fan. Then I could leave the back of the PSU open with air coming out passively. This should be quieter, I think. Also, I plan on replacing both fan with quieter ones.

Here are some pictures to illustrate my point.

This is the PSU as it stands now.

This is what it would look like modified.

Any suggestion, remarks, or help would be appreciated.

P.S. the specs on the fans are as follows:

The 92mm intake is rated at 33.5 CFM @ 27 dBA.
I plan on replacing it with a 92mm Silencer fan rated at
28 CFM @ 23 dBA.
The 80mm exhaust is rated at 29.5 CFM @ 25 dBA.
I plan on replacing it with a 80mm Silencer fan rated at
27 CFM @ 20 dBA

If all goes well, I believe I can increase the CFM from ~ 29.5 (the rating of the current exhaust fan, the limiting factor) to 55 CFM and go from ~ 30 dBA to ~ 25 dBA.

Last edited:
Intake PSU fan? Hm.......... try it and be ready to clean your PSU within the next week from the dust it WILL collect >LOL< . OK you could use an airfilter (mount it on the fan) and it should keep the dust out.

PS
IMHO intake PSU fan is not a good thing cause hot air tends to move upwards.If the fan is pushing this air in instead of emptying it out, then it will just warm up.... and warm up... and BOOM :p.
I think it should be better if you just left it blowing out (ok do the maintenance :) ).

It's already got an intake fan, so why would adding another cause a problem?

All the air being pushed into the PSU will have to go out and the only opening will be a big 80mm hole in the back, so it can freely go out that way. Know what I mean.

The PSU generates enough heat by itself to warrant the second fan. Also, the 92mm is not an intake, but an aid to exhaust, by gathering rising hot air into the PSU, where it is removed by the second fan. By using the second fan as an intake, you will be recycling hot air back into the case, plus probably drawing dust into the PSU and case like lightboy suggested. You risk seeing a degradation of the PSU's performance and a hotter case interior this way.

Maybe if cmcquistion fixed those pics we would understand. I understood what he meant because I have an Antec 350 with 2 fans. But I don't know if it would benefit from moving the 80mm to the back. It would most likely give worse results or not benefit at all. Also are you sure you are going yo notice 5db? Unless you change every other fan in your case you probably won't notice a difference in noise.

Sorry, I don't know what happened to the pictures. They worked before, now the don't.

I'm not sure I'm getting my point across. As it stands now, the PSU has two fans. One 92mm fan on the bottom blowing air into the PSU and one 80mm fan in the back blowing air out of the PSU.

My idea is to remove the 80mm fan now blowing air out of the PSU and stick it on the opposite side of the PSU blowing air into the PSU. Now the PSU will have two fans blowing into it and nowhere for the air to go but out the back where the 80mm fan used to be. It now has two fans blowing air into it and nothing restricting the air from passively going out the back 80mm hole, previously occupied by a fan, but now just wide open.

In this case, why would dust accumulation be a problem? I'm not sucking air into the PSU from outside the case, but from the inside of the case, just like the 92mm fan is doing already. The only difference is that now two fans are blowing air from inside the case to inside my PSU. The airflow now out of the PSU should be about double.

Does this make sense? I'm not sure if you aren't understanding my idea of if I'm not understanding your responses.

I understand. At least I think I do. I'll attach a really good professional drawing. I still don't think you could benefit from it. I think it is better the way the fans come.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

I'll have a few Enermax PSU's coming in a week or two for some workstations. I may modify one of them and then test them, side by side, for comparison.

My main goal of all of this is to quiet down my computer.

it could muffle the sound a little move, due to it being inside the case, instead of right on the edge....since it will be close to the cpu fan, and stuff..thatd be my guess

I read about this mod before somewhere, but I can't remember where it was. I do remember though that the writer was very pleased by the reduction in noise.

cmcquistion, when you do the mod, try taking some pictures and share your experiences here please. I'm interested to see the results

Just a small point, have a look inside the psu for the position of the various component heatsinks, altering the internal airflow could take it away from these heatsinks:eek:

It may or may not matter but they put two fans in those positions for a reason.:cool:

:beer:

Back