• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New To Networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wubism

Okay, Here is the deal. I have 1 comp now. Building one also.
Soon as I get the one builded.. I wanna network them of course. I have been told that a router is the easiest and better way to go.. but I want more professional opinions.

They are basically for gaming. I have DSL.. If I network the two computers.. say me and a friend want to play Counter-Strike together.. Will this effect our ping if we both play at same time.. we will lag alot.. or lets say I am downloading a mp3 while he is playing CS will that lag him?

first, the more user is using ur connection, be it local LAN or ur DSL, the slower it will be since they all r share ur max. DSL bandwidth. however, i wouldn't care much since it's "only" 2 rigs and it shouldn't affect ur ping time, if any, much!! since ur DSL bandwidth should be more than enough to handle a few rigs playing CS at the same time w/out noticable performance lose.

second, it sounds like u r gonna to have 2 rigs and wanna share ur DSL connection, right? if so, yeah, a router would be the (not just the easilest, but) best way to go. not only u dont' need any 3rd party proxy software or ICS, but also will have a hardware firewall for ur home network.

For a simple home network that a person new to networking is running a 4 port Linksys router will shine. I don't like them, but there is nothing physically wrong with them and it should suit you perfectly.

Back