• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Choice Will Cool Better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

Ok, I have about a $50 budget to put towards cooling. Both my case temps, and my CPU temps are high. So, which one would be more effective: buying new case fans (80mm; 5 of them) to circulate the air better; OR buying a AX-7/fan/AS3. Thanks for any input!

Temps:

Idle: 40 case/51 CPU
Full: 45 case/61 CPU

In MY opinion....
Your case temps are on the hight side. (like you didn't know that)
Go with a 120 mm intake fan. They run about $10.oo US. for a 108cfm unit. They are quieter than 80mm fans also.
You wouldn't believ the difference 1 will make!!

Give it a try.

:cool:

Your case temps are crazy bud! I think it's kind of dangerous you're running ur mobo @ 45 degrees.

What is ambient?

Yodums said:
Your case temps are crazy bud! I think it's kind of dangerous you're running ur mobo @ 45 degrees.

What is ambient?

I know I know, that is why I came here for advice. :D Ambient is around 25 to 28c. I am using the stock Antec fans (34cfm), and they aren't doing good. Will I be able to put a 120mm fan in the front of the Antec case...?

IMHO you need both. But getting a top of the line air cooler without good case cooling makes no sense. Not sure what case you have but adding some exaust fans in back and on top will do you loads of good. I persoally like the 92mm fans. Also you want to make sure you have enuf of an opening in the lower front of the case. Most cases have very small holes. If you have efnuf cash you can cut a large opening and place 2 92mm fans side by side in the lower front. A final mod would be a 92mm Fan in the side of the case blowing half over and half under your video card.

Make sure to put a fine mesh or a screen over the intake fans to stop dust and hair from entering your PC.

I have an Antec 1030b. I would love to both, but I would rather get good components for either case or CPU, than so-so components for both.

Nice big case. You can easily put a 120mm or 2 92mm fans upfront. Also some extra exaust fans in the back or a 120mm blow hole on top will do wonders. When you are within 2-3c of ambiant you are doing good. Also the airflow throught the case should help keep everything cooler. A good test is when you take the side off of your case and your temps don't go down, then you know you have it right.

Ok, so like a 120mm 108cfm in the front. And 2 92mm in the back. How many CFM's should each 92 put out? And then I will probably get a 80mm fan for the blowhole, since that is how big it is.

Also, the case has good airflow; the temp hasn't dropped, and I've had the side off for 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Not sure temps are accurate

I also have a Gigabyte GA-7VRX, with a 2100+ stock. On the boot, initial Mobo temps show 37C and when loaded also get to 41 to 43C. My CPU was reading 61C+ at load, but after cleaning, reapplying AS3, and reinstalling my AX-7 they are down to 57C.

I'm wondering if MBM is misreading the sensors? When I open my case completely (both sides off) the mobo temp still sits at 40C. I simply don't believe it anymore. I'm beginning to suspect the accuracy of the CPU sensor as well.

Anybody else with the Gagabyte GA-&VRX having these readings?

What kind of a case do you have? Also, I think our mobos detect the CPU temp correctly (more correct than others); since I know the therm. is right on the CPU. That is why our temps are higher; other mobos just have the therm. on the board, below the CPU, which is, of course, not as hot as the CPU. And welcome to the forums!!!

Case temps!!!!! Whew.

One thing to remember is that any air you move into the case needs to get out again: adding 1 intake and 1 exhaust will do more than adding 2 intakes.
Balanced airflow is best. Many people like to go slightly one side or the other: Positive is a little more in than out, may help keep dust down. Negative is a bit more out than in- may get dirtier inside. I find slightly negative to work best for me, others differ.

Fan positioning is important too: getting the cool air where you need it! Experimentation to find just where the best locations for fans will be-
low in front is usually best for intake (side panel over pci slots is often good for a second fan too)
High in back is best for exhaust, and a chimney exhaust on top of the case is often a good place for another.

You already have a couple in good spots, experiment!
I suggest using cardboard for temporary side panels: figure out just where you want to add fans and then mod the real ones. Much easier to try different spots that way.
Bigger fans usually give more airflow at quieter noise levels
:D

msmasitti said:
And then I will probably get a 80mm fan for the blowhole, since that is how big it is.

You have a blow hole with no fan in it? If that is true then there is a good chance that your exaust fans are just sucking air from there (defetes the purpose). Try duct tapping that hole and see if it helps any.

Also if you are in a 25c room (77F) and your system board temps are 40c (104F) it makes me wonder if there is someting wrong with your temp monitoring.

Anyone????

Hey~
I just added a 120 intake to the fron of my antec 1030 and the only way is to loose the bottom harddrive rack- you need to remove the rivits and just take it out- a jigsaw works great with a pair of tin snips for ccleanup- and i dont think 2x 92 can fit in the back! I tried........... :-( Did not work good- got a new case -
SPyder

I do have a 80mm fan on the blowhole right now. It moves 34 CFM.

My intakes are on the bottom, in the front of the case. My exhaust are right below the PSU (higher than the intakes), and then the blowhole, at the top.

Each fan only moves 34 CFM, which I think is why the temp is so high.

The Spyder said:
Hey~
I just added a 120 intake to the fron of my antec 1030 and the only way is to loose the bottom harddrive rack- you need to remove the rivits and just take it out- a jigsaw works great with a pair of tin snips for ccleanup- and i dont think 2x 92 can fit in the back! I tried........... :-( Did not work good- got a new case -
SPyder

I don't mind getting rid of the bottom HD rack. That would just give me more space for stuff. So, I am sure I can get a 120mm fan in there.

That is really odd with the 92's in the back. The difference between 8cm and 9.2 cm is is 1.2cm, which is roughly .5 inches. Well, nevermind, I think you are right; Maybe I could just put a 120mm back there.

My system Pic

Thanks, here's what it looks like. Its a RAIDCom Aluminum case with 8 external access drive bays.

The CPU fan typically turns 3400 RPM under load and 2800 at idle. It is rated at > 40CFM at high speed.

Currently folding at 7min 30 sec per frame, about 12 hours per protien. It did Seti at a 4hr 10 min average.

It is stock in its settings.

Back