• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice for a new Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

Lapping advice?

Ok, i am a newbie to the forums, just joined today (actually yesterday) and the people here are fabulous. I've been poking around in this cooling thread and i have tons of crazy cooling ideas floating around in my head, but thats besides the point. While I decide which cooling method to go with, i need advice on a new hsf. I don't really care about noise cause i put this huge noisy sucker (84cfm) in the front of my case. I have an abit KR7A

That pic is my motherboard (but mine has no yellow raid connectors) I just want the best fan that will fit on that motherboard, and any rambeling about watercooling would be great in this thread.

Last edited:
PS

I just noticed that i have recieved the rank of registered and have one gold star whatever that means.

virtually any hsf will fit on any motherboard now, the newer ones anyway, but there are a few like the ax-7 wich is the king, and i think an alpha hsf that wont fit, the new swifties will fit because they designed them to fit

id say if you wanna watercool(i think you said TO ramble on about it, maby i read it rong) there are a million possibilties, just stay away from och....

H2O
H2O
H2O

Can you guess what I suggest?

I don't have one, but if I was going to buy a new hsf, I'd get the AX7. Not expensive and excellent performance.
The "not expensive" part will be good when you take it off and replace it with a waterblock too:D

there is no such thing as the best 80mm fan, it all depends on preference, im gonna bet getting one with 25cfm for a non overclocked system soon, and you could get a 84cfm vantec tornado... there is a big range, the tornado will blow your ears out of your head, and you wont be able to hear the 25cfm fan...

is 47 degrees centigrade dangerous for an xp 1800?

My xp1700 has been 46c to 51c ever for about two weeks. And I'm surprised because USUALLY I get crashes starting in the upper 40s. AMD says they're goo to 70c, I believe
(EDIT: the word in the line above is supposed to be "good" :beer: )

ok, ax7 it is, whats the best 80mm fan?

If noise is not a consideration, I think most people would agree that Delta's blow......a huge amount of air! It WILL be loud, though: be warned!

Last edited:
I've got an 85 CFM fan as an intake in the front of my case already, i think its rated at like 50db

rogerdugans said:

Get the 80mm Delta 84cfm and 50db will seem silent.

hahah that be true! but wouldnt it be annoying having 2 50db in the computer i mean wouldnt you hear that massive 84CFM moving into the heatsink

PS:I was wonderin what would be better , a Delta 84CFM or the Vantec Tornado if i were to hook up a rheostat with it and lower it about 1/2 or 3/4

Also is the AX-7 a loud heatsink compared to others with the same fan ?Because im tired of my 46dba delta 38 going in my MCXC-370, pretty loud

well then delta it is.

Also, does anyone have a good link to a site with a good waterblock comparison?

also, i want to use a reostat *sp?* to controll the fan on the front of my case, any sugestions about specs i should look for in the stat?

There are lots of reviews on the main page here at OC, and some articles on comparisons too. I heard a rumour that another comparo article should be up in a week or two also;)

As far as rheostats: I messed with them a couple of times, but since I keep my noisemakers in my basement now I don't bother.

Use the search button and you'll get lots of info, I'd bet:beer:

Installation probs with AX7?

@ BinarySuperSaiyan

What installation problems do you know of?

Cooling Plans

Ok, i slept on everything that happened yesterday and i have a new coarse of action. While waiting for the AX7 and the Delta, i'm going to put a duct in from the side of the case with another 85CFM fan blowing onto the hsf on the cpu. I will be working on this tonight and posting pics during the progression. Of the project. Just a quick question, whats a good res for posting pics in the forums?

Here's what I bought, 2 X 4" PVC couplers, 1 4" fan, misc screws & L brackets (bolting to the side of the case) and of coarse duct tape. Hopefully by the end of the night i can have another 100Mhz or so.

EDIT: for point of referance my cpu is hovering 20 degrees centigrade above cast temps.

Last edited:
Back