• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

where do i get a whole saw for cutting plexi glass?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vdubpsu

i know the topic of cuttings holes has ben covered, but im not great with the dremel... so i'd like to use a hole saw to cut through the plexi glass of the side of my case. Unfortunetly i dont know where to get a 2.75" hole saw for my 80mm fan.

lowes website says they carry up to 2.5". do u recommend going with that and using the dremel with a sanding cylinder to get the rest. or do you know of any place to get a larger saw?

Any normal holesaw should work with plexiglass, but you must use a slower speed (variable speed drill), or the saw will heat up fast and melt the plexi. This makes an ugly (and hard) goop that is alot of sanding to get rid of.
Home depot has hole saws of almost any size.

I use a dremel with a side cutting carbide bit to clean up the cuts. Must...use...patience.

And this really should go in the "alternative modding" section instead of cooling.

Just for tips.. I used my table saw to cut my plexi sheets.. I bought the stuff at home depot.. called Suncrylic..

It didn't melt or anything.. got a real nice cut using a carbide blade.

I was able to use the dremel with the sanding drum to put edges on the plexi too.. sure sometimes it would melt.. but it wasn't hard to just snap off the melted burr pieces with my finger.

any pple have troble with this stuff cracking?? when i did it i think i applied too much presure and cracks appear on the sheet

Back