• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 1800 too hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BloodJunkie

Hey im new... and i need some help...
I just got an Athlon 1800+ with retail HSF.. I was surprised to find that it was getting up to 62 degrees C...

So i got a Global Win WBK38 and some silver thermal grease..... still not happy with the result i attached the retail fan to the top as well... It now runs at 52 degrees at full load with the case off....

Is this normal? It seems really hot to me.. i was expecting closer to 35-40....

System specs:
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Athlon XP 1800+
512M DDR 333 Ram
Geforce SDR (lame i know)
Seagate 40G 5400
2x Seagate 20G 5400 in RAID 0
CDRW + DVD

and it kinda sounds like a light aircraft =)

Wat are ur case temperatures?? or room temps?? maybe ur room is too hot thats why such high values.

Also having 2 fans one on top of each other doesnt always mean more air flow. Many time stacking fans like that would reduce rather then increase airflow.

50+ deg is very high for ur xp1800 though post ur case temps and we'll see if we can help

oh yah WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

ok cpu temp is currently at 54 degrees at 100% load...
case temp is 33 degrees.... case sides are off...

and it sure as hell aint 33 degrees in this room..... I live in NZ, its winter its 1am and im cold.......

Looks just about right. Because 33 Case temps w/ 52 load is only 19 above case temps, and that still aint a good cooler. NZ is very hot!

33 with the case open? That does not sound right.

Perhaps your sensors are not telling the truth?

When my room goes cold, as in below 18 degrees, sys temps are always less than 30. Or are you quoting Fahrenheit? lol.

The 7VRXP reports temps higher than normal. Don't remember exactly why, remember reading about it on the Gigabyte forum at amdmb.

Sang

The CPU reading on the 7VRXP is higher, because the actual thermal probe is TOUCHING the CPU (remember that orange strip in the middle of the socket, when putting the CPU on? That's it.). Other motherboards have the probe on the motherboard, below the CPU; not on it. Your CPU temp is a bit high, at 62c; my current case temps are 40c and CPU full load is 54c. So, not much better; but then again, I have a Dragon Orb 3; why would they be low? ;)

To cool down better, you should have an adequate amount of case fans. Two intakes, and two exhaust are good; any more is all the better. What kind of a case do you have?

Make sure that no cables are in the way. Flat cables can obstruct airflow, therefore increasing the case/CPU temp. I recommend rounding your cables, or buying pre-rounded cables.

For case fans, a 120mm intake fan near the front and 2x 92mm fans should be good enough for airflow. If you have any blowholes, they can also help get rid of hot air.

Most people here will recommend Arctic Silver III. I do too. ;) It will seriously lower your CPU temps a few *c. And, it is like $5 for a 3 gram bottle.

And finally, keep in mind; your ambient room temp goes up; so does your case/CPU. So, finding a cool spot for the case isn't a bad idea.

For what its worth I just shaved off about 5 C off my temp(cpu) by reapplying my A.S.II.I had a feeling I did'nt apply it very well the first time,so this time I went to A.S.'s website and did exactly the way they suggested.

However your case temp dosen't sound right if you have your sides off!Mines 26C-43C(idle),slightly O.C.ed.But the thing I liked about reapplying my paste is I did'nt have to remove my proc so the temp sensor is exactly were it was before,and according to AS it'll drop another 2C once it sets (72hrs).

Also before I wasn't convinced about lapping your heatsink,but I think it does help now. I made a clumsy attempt on mine,but did'nt have the right grit paper.If you lap I've found what your final grit should be "Crocus paper"fine.This stuff buffs.

Ps:If NZ in the winter is anything like New South Wales in Oz,I doubt its your room temp ;) .I was surprised its was none too tropical.Godd luck

NZ is not hot... It must be about 10 degrees in this room at night... which is why i thought the case temp is hot... but its sitting next to my monitor so i think ill move it to a cooler place....

Im gonna put some case fans in it....
Thanx for ya help people....

and OW hangover + noisy fan = bad

ok its currently 15 degrees in my house... .. case temp is 29.... whats up with that...

CPU is at 46 Idle....

Back