• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help xp won't start!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djs488

Hey guys, I just added a second hard drive that already had windows ME on it. I want to format it. But now I can't get into my old hard drive with xp on it. Is there any way I can format a drive without being in a OS? Or is there another way I can solve the problem?

actually after a long wait, I do get into xp. but then everything runs slow. The other hard drive is only 3 gigs, but Im formatting one of it's partitions and its taking a long time. Will formatting it fix the problem?

It might. Though if you just added a hdd and didn't do anything else I don't really see it as being a software problem.

Did you put them on the same IDE cable?

I finnally formatted it only to get the message that 'The format could not be completed'. Anyway, the hard drive's partitions were removed from My Computer. But, when I restarted, it said it couldn't find the second hard drive. I checked my BIOS, and I didn't have it anywhere in the boot sequence. Right now it is disconnected.

As Thelemac said: are they on the same IDE cable? If so, are the settings correct (one master, one slave OR cable select for both?).

Try running the second harddisk on a seperate IDE channel, and format the harddisk from there. You may have to temporarily disable your CD-ROMS to give the second harddisk a seperate channel.

good luck!

Back