• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help on Thermal Glue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Not to long ago ( about an hour ago ) i was working on my pc, By Rounding the IDE cables, Cleaning, Basic Maintenance. i noticed how Much Dust was in the Grill on the HSF. Well, i took the Grill off of the Processor, and When i did the Thermal glue, was Weakened. Where the Little Square peice is on my processor ( AMD 1700+) there isn't much thermal glue there any more. well, i put the grill and hsf back on, and when i checked the temps in bios, and in another program i have to tell me my temps, they were reading CPUA - 55c* AND UP. Right now, its at about %57-58c*. The System is at 37c*. I was wondering, if there was anything i could do Right NOW to lower the temps. The little Square that touches the grill is pretty small, and there is a big square of the Thermal glue ( which is pink, and is like twice as large as the little square, which its probably bigger so it moves heat throughout the entire thermal glue square, so its not all in one little spot ) But Can i move some of that glue around the edges of the big squre, to put on the small square? Or should i just wait, go to the store tomorrow, and buy some New thermal glue, Take the current glue off, and replace it ( wich i will do this ANYWAYS ) And since i am going to do that, what is the best Glue to use? Is there a kind that works best? Should i use something else, like that thermal greese, or whatever it is? i havn't really put any glue or grease on yet. but i'll have to lean if i want to lean to cool down my comp better. I know 57c* is Hich, but for an AMD it is Tollerable, but 60c* is my limit, If it hits that, i shutdown. ( i'm picky ) I refuse to let it run higher than that, unless i am doing it for a specific reason, like to see what the max temp will get to, if i leave it idle, or i Run Seti, or something like that. But just to be online, or play a game, No. And also, i don't have a drivers licens ( yet, i will here in like a month ) its 12:15am here. Anyone have any tips. i really want it cooler. Oh, I don't know my Ambient Temps right now, But Before i took the grill off the cpu was running at about 45-47*c. wich is a good 10c* cooler. and i can live with that ( for now, here eventually i may go to water cooling, but i'm still reading stuff on it, learning more, plus if i am going to do it, i can talk to my dad, he used to be into Cooling and Refridgeration. he knows all about cooling things down. he would always Fix Air-Conditioners that broke, ( he had to at that time it was his job, but not anymore he's out of the cooling ) sorry to strech all that out, but if there is anything i can do now, i would be most gratefull for any advise. Thanks

ZexMarquies01

Dude--- hate to break it but thats not glue or your CPU would NEVER come off the heatsync- its A TIM (thermal interface material?) You should REMOVE the pad- using a razorblade and rubbing alcohol and then go and buy some Articsilver 3 or artic alumina thermal compound- www.articsilver.com
Spyder

Ok, Thanks. yeah, thats what i'm going to do. But Thanks man. tomorrow i'll go and try to find something. there is a computer store about 15 min away from my house ( driving ) i'll stip there tomorrow see if they have what i need, if not, i'll order online. Thanks.

ZexMarquies01

Hey

Hey guys quick application prob with Arctic Silver 3. Do you want it thin enough to expose the writing on the die or is that too thin? Also any tips on installing an Ax-7 to an epox 8k3a?

on lapped hs you need a transparent haze. on non lapped hs you need a little more. remember when applying thermal compound less is more. you need very very little

ok...

So on an AX-7 (which is basically pre-lapped) I would put enough so that it covers the die but also to the point where I can read everything the die says?

Back