• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Plz help me figure my new P4-1.6a cpu temp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phillyTIM

Hey guys...

I just got a brand new Intel P4-1.6a processor, with an Epox 4G4A+ board.

I've apparently installed everything properly (with the Intel stock heatsink & fan on the CPU), and am burning in the system with Sandra with my 1.6ghz overclocked to 2.2ghz. It's all stable and has been running for the past 10 hours.

The motherboard BIOS reports a CPU temp hovering around 44C degrees. However, in Windows 2000, Sandra and Motherboard Monitor says the CPU is hovering around 88C.

Obviously 88C is too high for P4; so I set my motherboard to shutdown if the CPU temp hits 70C. After these 10 hours, it hasn't shutdown, and the temp still hovers around 88C.

What do you guys think? Is the BIOS correct? Or, is Sandra/MBM reading the board incorrectly? If the CPU was running at 88C, surely it would have locked up by now or the system shutdown, wouldn't it?

I read somewhere that P4 cpu will throttle down if temp goes more than 60 or 65 C. Might be the HS is not seated properly.

the cpu will shut down if it gets to a certain temp reguardless of if you have it set in the bios or not. when i was using windows 2000, i was having problems with the si soft, so i put xp on the box and it was all good. it might however just be the motherboard, ie, the one that im on right now, it doesnt report the temp right at all in si soft, it says that my cpu is always at 25' and my sys is always at 26'.

those are way high temps, check out my sig for my temps on my 1.6a if you feel that the readings arent correct pick up a thermal probe and check them with that , this will give you a more accurate reading than anything else. My roomate has the same system as me and he is using stock cooling and his temps are only 7 degress higher than mine.

CyberFed said:
those are way high temps, check out my sig for my temps on my 1.6a if you feel that the readings arent correct pick up a thermal probe and check them with that , this will give you a more accurate reading than anything else. My roomate has the same system as me and he is using stock cooling and his temps are only 7 degress higher than mine.

Just wanted to let you know my temps are almost the same temps as the temps of Cyber´s roommate!

(See my sig for specific temps @ 22° C room temperature)

Back