• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To 850E now, or 845G & Granite Bay later

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I am so torn. I'm buying a new motherbaord today or tomorrow and I just can't decide what to get.

On the one hand, 850E with RDRAM is the best performing chipset for P4. On the other hand, I could get a 845G and two sticks of really good DDR. When the dual channel DDR Granite Bay chipset comes out, all I need is a new MB. Don't need to buy new RAM.

Will Granite Bay be better than PC1066 RDRAM?

Should I sacrifice performance now, for upgradability later?

:(

actually I'm doing the 845g now, granite-bay/springdale later thing... i needed to upgrade now, and i really wanted to wait until the dual-ddr chipsets, but it seems a safe bet to get the parts now, and just get gb/springdale when it comes out and sell your 845g for a few bucks.

so in preparation for gb/spring, i purchased my DDR333 memory in 2x256 modules; going i850e now is great, but then they may not have future motherboards with all the serial-ATA, AGP8x, firewire, etc. like gb/springdale will be.

of course the processor sockets will stay 478-pin for the time being, and gb/springdale will use that, so it seems worthwhile to upgrade 845g now, gb/spring later, and keep your costs at a minimum.

Unfortunately, it is too late. I already ordered an Asus P4T533-C and it should be here in a few days. If Granite Bay ever come to fruition and really does blow the 850E out of the water, I'll try to sell my mobo and rdram real quick...
Otherwise, I should have one damn fast system with the 850E, for the meantime anyway.

If it were me I would've gone with i850E now too. :)

I'd be willing to bet PC1066 RDRAM will be on par (performance-wise) with any dual channel ddr chipset well into 2003 (Q2 maybe even Q3). That's an amazing lifespan for one chipset/memory technology these days. :cool:

Back