• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pay for DSL service AND an ISP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AGampher

***Warning: Newbie Question Ahead***

So I'm thinking about getting DSL from Southwestern Bell. I can get it for $30 bucks a month for a while until it goes up to $50 bucks a month after 6 months. I went to DSLReports.com and looked up DSL availability in my area and it chunked out like 10 providers. Then I got confused.... It said the National Price Range and quoted my 30-50 a month for SWBell. Next to that is the ISP and monthly price column, with several well-known providers like AOL and stuff, with an estimated monthly price shown next to them.

After I sign up for DSL through SWBell, do I have to choose a separate ISP for an additional monthly cost? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Will someone please clarify for a newbie?

Thanks,

~A

yeah im ordering dsl too i know waht whwat to do...

ok dsl... pretend

qwest is the DSL line right then u have a line of dsl but u need a isp like aol so u have to pay two different...

line usually like 20
then isp another 20

so yes u have to order a line and a isp

Okay, perhaps I can clarify for you here. When you order DSL, you're actually paying for two things. The DSL line and your ISP. (Unless you're ISP owns the DSL line, but most don't except for the telcos.)

BUT, these two charges are combined into one monthly price. Your ISP pays for the line out of what they charge you. So if they advertise their price as $50 a month, that's all your charged. The DSL company may be paying $30-35/month out of that for the line and they get to keep the rest (you can see why so many broadband companies were losing money).

When you buy DSL you get both the DSL connection, and an ISP.. (they are your ISP).

If you buy DSL from SWBell, your ISP is SWBell, and your connection type is DSL.

AOL is an ISP for DIAL-UP only... if you subscribe to them, but don't use their dial-up, they are not your ISP, they are a "portal", it's just another program that you run that connects to a service that they offer over the internet (the AOL main menu & interface).

su root said:
When you buy DSL you get both the DSL connection, and an ISP.. (they are your ISP).

If you buy DSL from SWBell, your ISP is SWBell, and your connection type is DSL.

AOL is an ISP for DIAL-UP only... if you subscribe to them, but don't use their dial-up, they are not your ISP, they are a "portal", it's just another program that you run that connects to a service that they offer over the internet (the AOL main menu & interface).

Actually, not true. AOL DOES offer DSL and cable service. In this case they ARE your ISP but not through dial up.

Also, if you go to DSL reports, you will see that most DSL providers do NOT provide the line. They rent it from someone else (usually someone like Covad or the local telco, etc).

well thats a whole different story i had dsl for 2-3 years now im running earthlink dsl it works great, but its a ******* when its down =) well im in the bayarea in california dsl is the only option right now i pay $50 a month it was 39 dollars but they kicked the price up... i believe you pay maybe 40-50 month. $30 i think is the line alone thats how they catch u. you need an isp if u order dsl from pacbell and its range of 40-50 it has an isp don't worry there sending u free dsl modems too ?

I use Verizon DSL, then you have to choose your Global Service Provider(GSP) of either Genuity or Qwest (there is no extra charge for either one, it is included in your monthly fee) I was suppose to have an intro rate of $30 for the first 3 months then $50(it's been 6 months at the $30 rate so far :) ) and I thought Qwest would have been the best GSP, but I was having problems and they switched me over to Genuity( used to be named GTE) and I have had great routes ever since. I also have a cable modem connection here, but routes are inconsistant and laggy at times, dsl has been great and more consistant.

Jim

Back