• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheat DSL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SnowBird said:
DSL cant be uncapped.

PS, i dont know if this kind of question is permitted by forum rules...
Overclocking you PC is permited and "overclocking" your dsl isn't ?
loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

Most of the time, your DSL speeds are limited by the actual connection.. (CAT 1/CAT 2 analog, in most cases).. It's a point to point connection between you and their server, unlike Cable, which is like pouring water into a river flowing to their server.

If for some reason you switch to cable just so you can uncap as you wish... good luck... people who try to uncap their cable modems seem to want to know what the record time is for getting caught and being banned forever. :D

i pray that i never meet someone who cheats cable.. about 3 weeks after we had our cable (1.5 down, 512 up) it started going REALLY slow... kept it up for about a week, with uncountable calls to tech supp. turns out a guy in our neighborhood was "abusing" the service.. he no longer has any internet :p i didnt even know it was possible to get around the 1.5 cap on cable, i usually get around 1 or so... thats good enough

Yeah ive seen people's screenshots showing off their achievement... downloading at 200 instead of 1.5... :eek: ... oh well those people got caught and banned in less than an hour... hahahahahahah... :p

Thieving bandwidth is wrong. Your cable company gives you 1.5 or whatever down for a reason: so everybody else can get online, too. You start syphoning bandwidth, you start taking it away from everybody on your branch. That's not right. I mean, you wouldn't break into their houses and steal their stereos would you?

i totally agree, as you can see, i've dealt with it first hand! i was barely getting dial up speeds for the week he was uncapped.. it was ridiculous.. should be stricter penalties against this sort of thing, it is basically stealing if you think about it... cable is shared.. get over it, stop trying to uncap something that was capped for a reason.. if you need more than 1.5 down - you either need a life, or at least to pay more for more service.. get t3 or something i dont know.. my opinion on the subject

Oni said:
Thieving bandwidth is wrong. Your cable company gives you 1.5 or whatever down for a reason: so everybody else can get online, too. You start syphoning bandwidth, you start taking it away from everybody on your branch. That's not right. I mean, you wouldn't break into their houses and steal their stereos would you?

My point exactly...

it'd be nice if we got a break every once in a while from them... most cable companies are planning on raising their prices & setting up tiered service, or low bandwidth limitations for people who don't shell out an extra $20-30 a month.

DSL internet connections can be uncapped. It has to be done in the switching terminal. This usually by an employee. If they get caught they get fired. Since anyone who has an uncapped line would hog bandwidth and cause lots of other people to go super slow the trace would reveal the problem at the switch and it would be undone. You also stand the possibility of being banned from DSL as well.
I know a guy who works for Bell South who told me this.
paupton

you dont. like he said you have to know someone working at your isp, and even if you did know someone, and they agreed to do this for you, its wrong, and frankly it p*sses alot of people off. you pay 40 for 256k down, you get 256k down - you want more, see if they'll sell you t1 or 3 :)

Back