• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sweet! Folding In Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

masitti

Woohoo! I am now folding in Linux! I like the fact that I can through the console on another desktop, so I won't see it. :cool: Damn, no matter how hard I try, everything I do in Windows, I can do in Linux. :p

I'm glad to hear it. I played with linux in its infancy, and I'm looking forward to going back to it once I get a video card that doesn't crash X all the time.

Fold on!

Ya, linux is good, but if you can get wine working, folding is supposed to be much faster. If you clock your times, you'll see that folding on linux is much slower. My times with a 1GHz Tbird were about 15:25 in win2k and 18:10 in linux. I have yet to get wine working myself, haven't exactly had the time. If you do, lemme know the results, and if it actually brings it back up to windows folding times.

This isn't the same as using wine, but if you press ctrl+alt+f1 through f6 to get to the command line, you can let the folding client have very close to 100% of your CPU cycles. I've noticed that with Gnome, my clients* "only" get 90-95%.

*I run four instance of the F@H client to avoid being effected by those occasional server outages.

What are you reading the proc usage with? If your using the TOP command, don't forget that it's using about 3-7% of the time. So subtract that off too. Anytime I use it, folding drops to about 90% and top takes about 3-7%, so when i'm not viewing the usage throught top, the core probably has about 93-99% of the CPU time. Although mine's a bit less anyway because of the web/database server. Personally though, i don't think there would be a difference between folding in an xterm and folding from the shell. And it wouldn't compensate for what wine "could" help with. It's still using the linux kernel for it's processing. If you were to use wine, you could use the windows version, which is the reason it would speed up. It's the client that is using a different compiler for each system. Just so happends that the linux compiler makes slower code than the windows client.

Nice idea with running multiple clients, definetly a way to keep your rig folding during downtime. Great idea, might just try it myself.

Back