• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

late WU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
this is a post by vijay over at the community boards regarding late WU:

One of the features on our list has to do with the deadlines. We want to have the client download the deadline time and if it's past, then it will just delete the current WU and get a new one. It's no fun to see that happen, but it's better than running something for a few days which has already expired.

Here is the rest of the thread---> here

you should read the whole thread( not long a all)-- what do you guys think?

Last edited:
I think that team google is going to go down in flames if they do that. Most of us aren't going to have a problem with it as we are using systems that can complete the work on time and are running 24/7. ie. It should have little effect on our team or the other dedicated teams, but it will effect the casual users.
I know that it can slow the project down some but in the end the power increase from extending the deadline another 25-50% could yield trememdous increases in the data that is recovered overall.

Now they could compromise and arrange a setup with id#'s that consistently turn in work late or expire work so that those id's can be marked with a different set of proteins or with another run of proteins separate from the faster systems. Doing so could allow slower machines to participate and actually help, instead of slowing down the progress of work for the faster systems. Inclusion, not exclusion, is the reason that seti has computing power nearly equal to the supercomputer that was just built in Japan.

Ploaf said:
I think that team google is going to go down in flames if they do that. Most of us aren't going to have a problem with it as we are using systems that can complete the work on time and are running 24/7. ie. It should have little effect on our team or the other dedicated teams, but it will effect the casual users.
I know that it can slow the project down some but in the end the power increase from extending the deadline another 25-50% could yield trememdous increases in the data that is recovered overall.

Now they could compromise and arrange a setup with id#'s that consistently turn in work late or expire work so that those id's can be marked with a different set of proteins or with another run of proteins separate from the faster systems. Doing so could allow slower machines to participate and actually help, instead of slowing down the progress of work for the faster systems. Inclusion, not exclusion, is the reason that seti has computing power nearly equal to the supercomputer that was just built in Japan.

couldn't agree more...

identifying slower id's would be a great step for folding and would allow more poeple and more computers to get units done on time..(good idea ploaf ;)) . this way if deadlines are a must, the folding project will not have to sacrifice any would be WU, because the slow computers could surely turn in the smaller proteins on time and help out the folding cause.

it will certainly be interesting to see how this will affect goodle production

NASsoccer said:

it will certainly be interesting to see how this will affect goodle production

and you know that when that google toolbar really gets going it can give a huge boost to their production if they allow it to happen. Too bad they are messing with it. That is, hands down and without a doubt, my favorite browser plugin of all time and while I'm a bit odd ;) I can't be totally alone wtih that opinion. One thing though, is that I haven't downloaded a new google toolbar since the news of this came out and it wasn't an available option at the time.

Ploaf said:

and you know that when that google toolbar really gets going it can give a huge boost to their production if they allow it to happen. Too bad they are messing with it. That is, hands down and without a doubt, my favorite browser plugin of all time and while I'm a bit odd ;) I can't be totally alone wtih that opinion. One thing though, is that I haven't downloaded a new google toolbar since the news of this came out and it wasn't an available option at the time.

true. even though some google users will struggle with the time limits they will be putting out huge numbers. one wonders if they would reconsider their decision you the sake of the folding cause.

Back