• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ouch! Looks like a failing waterpump...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbie_Doo

Admin Parent
My watercooled rig started acting VERY strange yesterday. It was unplugged during the T-storm, but the waterpump was still plugged into the surge protector. Looks like the waterpump suffered some damage because flowrate is just a trickle.

I had to go back to stock speed just to keep folding. Temps are about 8C higher while folding than they were before. WAS: XP1600@1576, 1.85V and 43C. IS NOW: XP1600@1400, 1.75V and 51C. No other changes were made.

I think a trip to Home Depot is in order. *SIGH*

N_D: don't know what Home Depot sells, but Lowes sells some "Little Giant" pond pumps. I got my 200GPH one for.....about $35. Works great, never had problems. :D But, it's only submersible. (don't know what kind of system you have)

Newbie_Doo said:
My watercooled rig started acting VERY strange yesterday. It was unplugged during the T-storm, but the waterpump was still plugged into the surge protector. Looks like the waterpump suffered some damage because flowrate is just a trickle.

I had to go back to stock speed just to keep folding. Temps are about 8C higher while folding than they were before. WAS: XP1600@1576, 1.85V and 43C. IS NOW: XP1600@1400, 1.75V and 51C. No other changes were made.

I think a trip to Home Depot is in order. *SIGH*

sorry to hear you lost the pump N_D, but at least you got the rest of the computer unplugged ;)

keeps us up to date on when you get the new pump and if your temps settle back down!

Bad news, good news. The latter half is more important, as it is that the system is still ok.

I need to take a ride to HD myself, and see what they have for pumps. I want to get my H20 going by month's end myself....:)

I'm glad that nothing catastrophic happened. That's something to be grateful for.... ;)

B.

What kind of pump were you running, Newbie_Doo? I'm glad it didn't harm anything else in your rig. If you can't find a decent pump at the Depot or Lowes, you might go check out the pet shops around you and see if they have any Maxi Jet pumps. They are pretty inexpensive and will tide you over until you can get a better pump and it would make a great backup pump to have around in situations like you are in now.

muddocktor said:
What kind of pump were you running, Newbie_Doo? I'm glad it didn't harm anything else in your rig. If you can't find a decent pump at the Depot or Lowes, you might go check out the pet shops around you and see if they have any Maxi Jet pumps. They are pretty inexpensive and will tide you over until you can get a better pump and it would make a great backup pump to have around in situations like you are in now.

if it's the same pumps as I have got from home depot. newbie would be better off with the maxi jet. 43c for an xp isn't stellar for air let alone water a better pump is probly going to lower temps. danner pumps are ok too but the local aquarium shops here charge twice as much as you would pay on the net. a danner mag drive is $120 here pretty outragous IMO

If your looking for a ehiem
drsfostersmith and dangerden has the 1048(158 gal.) for $57

I agree about the pet shops ripping you off for a pump; that's why I mentioned the Maxie Jet. They are real cheap online so I figure that the pet shops can't rape you too bad for it.:eek: I prefer Eheim myself as they are known good quality equipment. Eheim is the only cannister filters I will buy for my fish tanks and they last and last and last, with no trouble.:D

A Little Giant 80gph submersible is what I have right now. From the looks of the current flow rate, I would say I would be lucky to get 10 gallons per hour from it now. Flow is barely a trickle.

I guess it is a testament to the quality of the airflow through my radiator that the temps are even this good...There is a marked difference between the hose temps at inlet vs. outlet.

Off to the Depot tomorrow, They have a Beckett 210GPH submersible for less than $50. I needed to re-do the CPUs and things anyway. :rolleyes:

Anthony

Sorry to hear about your pump :( those thunderstorms seem to just come out from nowhere at times. Good luck getting the new pump up and running and stay cool ;)

Sorry to hear about the water pump. At least the pump works well enough that your CPU isn't overheating seriously.

My watercooling setup is doing OK. I need to get a heatercore soon I think, temps are 56 to 52C under load @Default Vcore and default speed. Its a lot quieter than a HSF though.

Back