Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications
Forum Jump

XP and Restore?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 06-15-02, 01:39 PM Thread Starter   #1
AlanSr

XP and Restore?

Is restore actually worth using?
I've found that when I use it alot of my programs are corrupt. I've also noticed that it uses HUGE amounts of memory.

so do you guys use it or not???
AlanSr is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-15-02, 07:51 PM   #2
outhouse

10 Year Badge

I dont use restore, if i get a major problem i have no problem doing a clean install. In my opinion it keeps things neat and tidy and running at its peak.

p4 3.2e @ 4087, abit ic7-g, 1g corsair 4000 1to1 2x512, antec500w ps,lapped 3.2e, as5, bie, rbx ,maze 4 ,chip an gpu
leadtek 6800 U, 3dmark03 15,009 488/1.25 160 hd, tdk 32/10/40

XPS170 2g/cpu 2g/ram 60g/7200 rpm hd 7800gtx

8400@4g. 680i EVGA blackpearl. 4G ballistic 800mhz. RBX and inovatech NB. DDC BIX EVGA GTX260sc

4790K @ 4.8, Z87 EVGA FTW. 8g Corsair vengance pro, EK cpu and waterblocks. DDC. 240x2 120x1, EVGA 780TI SLI
outhouse is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-15-02, 10:07 PM   #3
paupton

I vote for the clean install as well. I have had to use restore in the past and found funny quirks with my system after using it. I just do a quick format and reinstall.
allan
paupton is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-15-02, 10:26 PM   #4
mbigna

10 Year Badge

I'm writing this just in case you are asking about system restore. (If not, this may be of interest to you anyway...)

If you use your computer alot, you are using the restore point function even if you don't know it. If you invoke the restore point wizard, you will notice all the restore points that have been saved on your machine.

To run system restore--click START/Help and Support.
Select "Performance and Maintenance" (fourth up from the bottom/left)
Select "Using System Restore to undo changes" This selection is badly named, as you will see that you will be given many more options than just 'undoing changes.' When you get to this page, I suggest running the restore wizard and let it do the work for you.

You can set your system restore to save more or less often and other behaviors as well. You can get rid of all your old restore points if you are concerned about disk space. You may specify the total amount of disk space allocated to restore points, as well.

As far as usefullness is concerned, I have been 'torture testing' three WinXP machines with unsigned drivers and the like to see if I could 'break' anything. I'm pleased that there have been only a few hiccups and have only had one 'hard' lockup (required a power recycle). I have set restore points before I install any questionable drivers or software. When using the wizard, you can name your restore points so they make sense to you ("Installing beta Detonator driver 23.90" for instance). If your install blows chunks, you can get right back in business. You can go back to any restore point you choose from most recent all the way back to your original installation, if the restore point is still saved.
mbigna is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Software > Microsoft Operating Systems
Microsoft Operating Systems Microsoft Operating Systems and Applications