• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SETI on Dual Rig?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Ok, Ive tried to read everything I could about this and nothing freakin explains it. How in the bloody blue hades do you run seti x2 on this crap? Ive installed seti twice, in seperate folders. And only 1 will run? Ive tried to learn the Seti Drivers and Seti Spy stuff but that crap makes no sense either.

Can someone explain this in lamens terms?

IFMU,

I assume that you are using the CLI to crunch your units. Install SETI Driver and in the upper left hand corner of the GUI there is a field labeled Maximum Processes, set this value to 2. That should allow you to run a process on each CPU.

meb3269A

CLI one??? I downloaded it, installed it, and ran it.

I did that with the Seti Driver, and the CPU gauge almost never hit 100% usage. It would bounce between 50 something and 80 or 90.

I am running Win XP Pro.

IFMU said:
CLI one??? I downloaded it, installed it, and ran it.

I did that with the Seti Driver, and the CPU gauge almost never hit 100% usage. It would bounce between 50 something and 80 or 90.

I am running Win XP Pro.
The easiest thing to do is to download the command line client (CLI) aka the "dos" client and put that in a folder along with Seti Driver. When you start seti driver the maximum number of processes box should automatically have the number set to 2 (or however many cpu's your computer has) then make sure you set the desired cache size to at least 2. That will run two Seti clients at the same time.

TC said:
The easiest thing to do is to download the command line client (CLI) aka the "dos" client and put that in a folder along with Seti Driver. When you start seti driver the maximum number of processes box should automatically have the number set to 2 (or however many cpu's your computer has) then make sure you set the desired cache size to at least 2. That will run two Seti clients at the same time.

Just for future reference, you load the program once and it'll open two right? Or would you have to download to seperate clients?

TC said:

Ok the dos version, easy enough. But From what Ive seen of that, it wont show you how much is done, how much you have left etc. Right? I like to know how its going overall, rather than how many WU's Ive completed and how many I havent.

Ok, correction. I have no freakin clue where to get the DOS version. I checked the seti site and all Im seeing are read mes and FAQ's?

Ok, I think I got it, but I still am not sure if its actually running 2 versions. Can you tell me by the screen shots?

You're rockin'! The OS is balancing all loads between the CPU's.

Yodums, setting the processes to 2 within the SETIDriver spins up 2 command line processes. When SETIDriver uploads/downloads WU's, it temporarily spins up a third process to handle the transactions.

Ok, so it all looks good then.

Now, my next question is this.
What program is easy for a moron to run and see how all the different computers on a network are doing?

Ive looked and Ive seen SetiQue, and a few others, but none make any sense to me.

Ideas for a very simple version of something that can read this?

BTW, Thanks for all the help guys!~!

SETIQueue works great, and it's easy. It will queue up WU's for your systems and give you reporting tools through a built-in web engine. I can see that a system is overdue and then investigate what is going on. Why don't you give it a try, and just hit us up with questions. Many of us have done it many times, and can easily walk you through any issues you may run across.

hehe... well I actually have it installed now, and it makes no sense what so ever.

For starters, how in the bloody,...... do I see how my other machines are doing on the network in there?

You won't get real-time info, other than elapsed time since the last result. I'm not aware of a real-time application that has hooks into SETI.

Are your systems using DHCP to get their addresses? Do you know the IP of the system you installed SETIQueue on?

Your SETI clients connect through SETIQueue as a proxy. Within each SETIDriver config, you set the proxy to the IP of the system running SETIQueue and the default port of 5517, unless you changed if from the default.

Greg M said:
Yodums, setting the processes to 2 within the SETIDriver spins up 2 command line processes. When SETIDriver uploads/downloads WU's, it temporarily spins up a third process to handle the transactions.

Thanks I was confused myself on this dual thing.

You're rocking IFMU! :D

In order to see how your other computers are doing with Seti Queue, you need to set your other computers to upload and download units through your Seti Queue - that's what seti queue is, a proxy server. Once you tell them to do that seti queue will start maintaining a nice set of detailed stats for each system that is connecting to it. Alternatively you can use a program called Seti Watch to monitor all of your computers in real time, but I don't think it keeps a record of stats like seti queue does. Given some time seti queue can generate a lot of nice stats for each of your machines.

Back