• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very Effective Recruiting Tool!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NeoMoses

Just be personal and ask the person. Lately I've been browsing the SMP forums, and saw a guy who just built a Dual MP 1800 rig. So, I sent him a PM asking him if he would like to join us folding, and guess what? He did!

My point is: We should personally invite members to fold. Not just mass advertising. Use the PM function. Do a little explaining. Give them links. A few quick minutes is all it takes to add a couple more CPUs, and if we each can add 1 CPU this way, we'll completely blow away Rage3D.

Just a suggestion.

I agree that asking people face to face is the best recruiting method.

Talk to your family, friends, workmates, .... and make them fold!!! :D

David

So true.

Back when I was a total newbie, I posted my first overclock in general hardware. That same day, David invited me here in a PM. So here I am.

Two months later, I am buying parts for a farm and I still have not heard a peep out of the seti crowd.

Oh well, that's too bad for them. It won't be long until the SETI people decide that they also want a farm. I started the same type of thread over there that I did here with the yattamonster, but no one bit. Oh well.
I do agree--I can HEAR all those wasted CPU cycles. Just make sure that you use common sense when you ask people---if people use their computers all day (ie, architecture firms, engineering, etc) it's a good chance that they won't do it as it would slow them down. But everyone else is free game! :D

Actually I don't beleive it would slow down firms much at all since it is a idle class program and the only slow down would be in the milli seconds while folding paused/went idle whatever you wanna call it and the program the user wishes to use starts up and runs (in 99.9% cases) normally without slowdown. I've sort of tested this running folding while benchmarking and the differences are no more than if I had it off and ran the benchmark several times.

Also I was here Folding b4 folding2 came out and for a long while I was anchored around 21st place on the team. I moved on to my own team after we dropped to 3rd place.* I was under the impression no one else would threaten us for a LONG while. * Now we have Rage breathing down our necks and I was aware of it, but commited to my own struggling team 662 Crusaders for Christ. Well David PMed me saying that he had noticed my drop in production( I had been occasionally "donating" a WU a week to give Team 32 at least a little help) and he was wondering if I was still folding.

Well what he did is got me back a little more active here in the forums as I've been so busy lately I hadn't been keeping up with things. I can produce about 100 points a week and I'll remain here for the duration of the contest. Should I win the cpu it'll eventually end up running(out of spare parts except for a PSU) and will be dedicated team 32 folder whether the rest of my mini-farm are folding for 32 or 662. Heck I may even buy a share of 2 of YattaMonster while planning my own...(think it'd be alot easier to build one like that than figure out how to fit that many folding boxes in this small room.

heck everybody in my family has slow intel chips when I say slow I mean under 500. just don't seem to be worth the cost of power to fold with such a slow cpu. I did give my duron box to my grandfather to replace his P233 so theres one that would fold fairly fast but it running way too hot to fold. hows 46c @ idle sound not overclocked in all fairness it is a asus board and reports a little high. the cooling is good and plenty of airflow and is using a AX-7 heatsink. its all b/c of the room temps >32c :eh?:

I agree with the first post that the best recruitment tool is ASKING.

First: Most people would be honored to know that they have been recognized for being here and contributing.

Second: What better way to praise someone for their accomplishment in overclocking than to acknowledge it publicly or privately (and then ask for them to put it to work for a good cause)?

Give a little, get a little. Be part of the solution and help recruit people to do the same. Face to face, or one on one by electronic means, it can't hurt to ask. The absolute worst thing that will happen is that they MIGHT say no. (In sales, "NO" is a request for more information. ;) ) They might say YES too. If they do, the world might just become a better place for all of us.

Happy Folding! :burn:

Anthony

Bribing with services always seems to work out well :)

SPread the word. Rage has their machine back ;)

i've been telling coworkers about folding and getting some of them to consider it. I have also been talking to the net admin. about putting folding on the machines at work, which seems to be going quite well.

scoobiedoo

folding really doesn't slow anything down at all, i did various bench's to prove that to someone, and like sandra went down by 4, 3dmark was it its normal percent variation, so yeah, it really doesn't slow it down at all.

Back