• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need opinions por favor! =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ucfswimmer

OK, I'm finally rdy to plunk down some well-earned cash for a new graphics cards to replace my 16MB NVIDIA VANTA...i think it's about time, don't you?

Well Right now I'm wavering between ATI and NVIDIA and also I don't know if I should go 64MB or 128MB...

When thinking about this card newegg has for $99...a "built-by" 64MB Radeon 8500LE with 3.3ns memory, it looks like almost the best bang for the buck anywhere...but then i considered going with 128mb of video memory, which made me look at the 128MB RADEON 8500LE but the cheapest I could find that is for right around $150....so now it's an extra $50 for twice the memory....but then I thought to myself, If I'm going to spend the extra $50 for this...why not get a GF4 Ti4200, I can get one of those for $150, but then I'm like...oh it'll only be a 64MB version which is what I was trying to go up from...so to go to a 128MB GF4Ti4200 it's going to be another $50, so now we're at $200...

my question is this..of the 4 cards at their various levels, which one is really the best bang for the buck? and will I be too short-sighted in getting only a 64MB video card? I know that nothing now requires that much video memory, but I've heard that DOOM III will recommend 64MB of video memory with 128MB recommended...so should I stick with my initial instinct...or is the 128mb 8500le worth the extra $50...or should I go with a Ti4200 which is much more expensive and maybe not worth paying 25% more for only 15% improvement in quality/speed...???

thanks a lot guys...i know this question has been asked in a hundred different other ways before, thanks for reading/responding to mine :D

Last edited:
There are arguments to be made for all 4 choices, but I would lean toward the GF4 Ti4200 128MB card. Reasons are;
1. Very overclocking freindly.
2. Almost as fast when O/Ced as the $400 Ti4600.
3. With 128mb Ram, you shoulds be good for any game coming out in the next few years.
4. nVidia Driver support is better than ATI.
5. For around $200 you will have a great video card.
IMHO

I completely agree. From the way it sounds you don't upgrade too often so yes, I would go ahead and shell out the cash for the extra memory. I personally only went for 64 because I upgrade my video card normally every 7-12 months. Definately get the Ti 4200 128 for all the reason Da Whip previously stated.

I have seen both the radeon 8500 64 and 128 mb versions and there is not a whole lot of difference between the two, if you go with the radeon then I would choose the 64 mb version.

Explorer

Da Whip said:
There are arguments to be made for all 4 choices, but I would lean toward the GF4 Ti4200 128MB card. Reasons are;
1. Very overclocking freindly.
2. Almost as fast when O/Ced as the $400 Ti4600.
3. With 128mb Ram, you shoulds be good for any game coming out in the next few years.
4. nVidia Driver support is better than ATI.
5. For around $200 you will have a great video card.
IMHO

LOL, I am sorry but I must not agree with #3.

My Voodoo3 with 16 MB was top of the line 2 years ago. Look at where it is today. Technology is growing to an even faster pace.

I would think the card will last for maybe 1.5-2 years MAX, then you'll wanna upgrade again.

i did a little search on pricewatch for you and the cheapest 128mb geforce4 ti4200 was 167 shipped, a chaintech. The cheapest 64 mb version was 150 shipped. IMHO, defintely worth the 17 bucks

and the 128 vs 64 battle rages on lol
vidio cards are progressing at a furious pace. hell my vid card has more ram and procesor than my bothers whole computer. the thing i noticed about vidio cards is that the biggest advances are in the amount of onboard memory. yea the gpus are getting better but not as fast as the amout of ram. i remember when 32 was alot(maybe a year ago) now try running gta3 or max pain on a 32 at anything less than nutured settings. now that 128 is out programers are going to design for it.
the next games, already in alpha stages, are ready for 128. and as yfan has pointed out its only 17 for a difference. memory amout is directly related to longevity and significantly more so than the gpu, as history has shown us.
i know that everyone seems to be pushing for what ever card is in their signature lol. but when you look at the facts and dont mind running everything in 4x AA in the meant time. more is better, as it almost always is. 17 dollars is nothing to a 32mb card owner if he could now be owning a 64
gosh im long winded today. did we lose anyone to boredom lol?

Back