• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with T-Bird Cooling Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Martowski

Registered
Hey all! I have a quick question. I built a 1 ghz AMD T-bird system with a K7-VTA Soyo motherboard. It always seemed to be running fine without overheating, and I used it for about 2 months. I just moved and, after brining the PC out of storage, it is suddenly overheating. Funny thing is, my windows VIA hardware monitor says it's the system that's overheating (122 degree F.). However, is says the processor is around 80 degrees when this happens. But, the BIOS hardware monitor says it's the CPU that's 120+ degrees, and the system is 80 degrees. Regardless, I checked my fans and they all seem to be working correctly. Any ideas??

You may need to remove the heat sink and replenish the heatsink compound. Moving it and leaving it in storage can wreak havoc with the HSF mounting.

yah when moving and slight bump could cause havoc on the TIM or the termalpaste. try removing and reapplying some new termal paste and see if that helps.

I went to CompUSA yesterday and bought some more thermal paste. It seems to be working better, but the CPU is still around 120 degree F.

When I was at CompUSA, they had three different kinds of "stuff" to use: the standard, white silicone thermal paste, some thermal pads, and some more expensive "silver" thermal compound that was advertised as reducing CPU temperature more than other compounds, etc. I ended up just buying the "cheap" white silicone thermal paste. Would I have been better off with the termal pad or the more expensive "silver" thermal compound? Is there really a big difference? Should I go back to CompUSA and get the more expensive "silver" thermal compound?

i would nothing is more important than keeping your cpu cool even if it costs you a little more...would that happen to be arctic silver? if it is that is the most used thermal compund and i would use it anyway.

Back