• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Soldering Made EASY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Genoide

Someone should make do a soldering made easy thread explaining some of the techniques for Soldering ps1,ps2,volt modding,power supply modding,xbox modding, XP unlocking what tools where to find them and what do they do. if someone can do this would be helpful to some people that think that Soldering is really hard all you need is 2-5 days of practice or so i heard. I'm one of those persons that don't know how to solder, and we fear what we can't see or understand.

CrystalMethod said:
Hmmmm.. Good Idea! Just so happens that I have my brother's digi-cam this week! Maybe I should put together a beginners soldering tutorial.

Always helpful.. Even to the people who been in the forums so long :p

Go here then click on The Lab then click on Soldering Guide Part 1. All will be revealed. No direct link to the page.

This sight is awesome for tips on fan wiring, switches, led's etc. He also sells pre-assembled fan busses.

Someone mentioned "xbox modding"... I posted this on a "ps2 modding" forum but I will paste it here in case anyone needs to do VERY accurate soldering. I used a 15w soldering iron from radioshack. And by accurate I mean soldering a wire onto a chipset let or onto a small copper lead thats about this big --> .

-----------------------------------

Use Kynar wire ( http://www.action-electronics.com/pdww.htm )

I just strip the wire normally and then us a rosin flux pen to coat the tip of the wire. Then I heat up a glob of solder on a scrap piece of metal and dip the wire into the molten solder. Make sure you get a little bit to stick onto the wire. Now the tip of the wire should be a shiny silver because it's coated in solder. It should NOT have a big glob on the end of it. Now just touch the wire to wherever you want to solder onto (make sure you coat that with a little rosin flux from the pen also) and heat up the tip of the wire with your soldering iron and it will cause the solder to flow onto the leg or whatever it is you're soldering onto and create a strong but clean joint. I hope this helps.

thx tseg i could virtually picture in my head what you were saying, very well explained thx.

I was just thinking about this. Also, where could I get a good little soldering iron??? Do regular stores carry these or what?

Lochreas said:
I was just thinking about this. Also, where could I get a good little soldering iron??? Do regular stores carry these or what?

Please check your local friendly hardware store. Good selection and great advice usually available.:)

Just found out that using 15Wat soldering irons they sell @ radio shack is harmless for modding ps2's and most things without doing no harm to thing you are soldering. It can take a long time for more then 6 wires but if you don't don't have money to replace it its great thing.

Genoide said:
Someone should make do a soldering made easy thread explaining some of the techniques for Soldering ps1,ps2,volt modding,power supply modding,xbox modding, XP unlocking what tools where to find them and what do they do. if someone can do this would be helpful to some people that think that Soldering is really hard all you need is 2-5 days of practice or so i heard. I'm one of those persons that don't know how to solder, and we fear what we can't see or understand.

That's a good idea. I've been soldering for about 6 months now. I think I've got the hang of it, but I sometimes wonder how to get those perfect looks that I see in pictures. My soldering jobs aren't nearly that pretty!

Back