• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seti WU Times???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKooL

Registered
I just joined the Seti OC team :) rock on!

My Specs

-Asus P4S533
-P4 1.6 @ 1904
-Radeon 8500 LELE

I figured with these specs, I'd be churning out WU's by the hour, however, to my dismay, my first WU took over 18 hours!!!!

This seems ridiculously slow, as my old PIII 550e could do a work unit in under 10 hours.

3Dmark scores are around 8030's, and everything else seems to bench right, and i have plenty of cooling.

What can I do to improve this?

Thanks!

-Joe

18hrs? sounds like u r running the GUI version?? if so, change to CLC version and u shold be looking around 3 1/2~4hrs / WU!!

u could look for the stickly in this forum 'bout to set up the CLC client.

good luck.

Thanks!

I just set up the CLC version and we'll see how things are going. But still, the GUI version shouldn't have taken 18 hours....

-Joe

That is a little high even for the gui client, but keep in mind running that is like trying to get a great 3dmark score while running prime95 at the same time - doesn't work very well ;) With your specs I would guess you should be churning units out in the 4+ hour range. Nothing currently available does units much faster than 2 hours. My old 2.9GHz P4 with rdram had a best time of 1:33 with an 11AR unit.

wait, so the gui version would still run SIGNIFICANTLY slower if I set it to always run and blank screen after 5 min. for the screensaver? or is it just slightly or no slower than CLC in that case?

Jackywebdesign said:
wait, so the gui version would still run SIGNIFICANTLY slower if I set it to always run and blank screen after 5 min. for the screensaver? or is it just slightly or no slower than CLC in that case?
Yes it stinks. From what I've seen the code has some issues that makes it slower regardless.

Before I discovered folding, I was crunching out SETI WU's in 6 hours with the graphical client on my XP1600+. It's probably because AMD's are usually better with FPU. In folding, AMD's rock--my XP1600+ could beat a PIV 2GHz.

After I setup the CLC version of Seti, my P4 @ 1904 can do a work unit in about 4 hours. So I guess everything is good now, thanks guys!

-JKooL

sorry to interupt... but as a member of the 'oposition:D' I demand you go back to the GUI as before... :D... that 'may' help us catch you guys...

seriously though, the GUI is SOOOOOO much slower than the CLI client.... nice reduction in times m8e... :D

Welcome JKooL.

As already mentioned, the GUI version is much slower. I've found that it's about 50% slower in the background and as much as 300% slower using the screensaver. Another factor is AR. As mentioned in another thread a few notches down from this one, it seems like lately there have been lots of really low AR units. Generally lower is slower. On my PIV 1.6A @ 2.352 I'm getting lots of units that are taking in the range of 6 to 7 hours to finish. So if you got a low AR unit and were using the SETI screen saver 18 hours would be quite understandable.

...and processor architecture seems to have something to do with performance on high or low AR units. P4's seem to bust out a high WU in very good time, but run slower on low AR's. AMD's seem to run a high WU not as quickly as a P4, but do significantly better on low AR's.

My Athlon XP1800+ @ 1.679 is currently chewing on a .028 and it will take about 3.5 Hrs.

one question is i'm surprise what other's saying 'bout P4 w/ low ARs!! my P4 isn't that bad w/ low AR WUs...... check my queue log, my P4 1.8a crunch a 0.3xx WU just a little less than 20mins more than a 0.417AR.... and i've never seen anything like others said, 4~5hr range!! may be i'm lucky......:rolleyes:

Back