• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just installed a NIC card and now at startup I get errors!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

I just installed an NIC card, a Realtek 9139C card. Now at startup I get these messages......... that it is missing the following files, and that i may have deleted them, that the registry wants them there. The files are vnetsup.vxd vredi.vxd and dfs.vxd
Also once it boots to windows it says that it cannot load a file catalog msnp32.dll file or something like that. I wish that i knew what all that this means, from what I can tell something got messed up in the registry when I installed the drivers for the NIC card. How do I get this fixed, or what do I have to do to fix this? I tried reinstalling the networking files through add/remove programs, but that didnt help.

Same, I have this problem with two of my computers and just haven't had the time to look into it.

For the errors about the missing files, just go into network control panels and remove all the components and let it reboot, then reinstall just the ones you need. TCP/IP, Client for MS Networks, and the NIC itself. Not sure about the MSNP32 file, but the fix may take care of that as well. Basically, when you install the NIC, Windows wants to load IPX/SPX, et al but doesn't actually install them. Removing them will whack the registry entries that tells it to load those components.

From Micro$oft:
SYMPTOMS
When you start Windows, you may receive the following error message:

Unable to load the dynamic link library:

msnp32.dll

The system cannot find the file specified.

Some or all of the following feature is not available:

Microsoft Network
If you click OK to load Windows, the Network Neighborhood icon may be missing from the desktop and you may not be able to gain access to the network or any network resources.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the Msnp32.dll file is missing, corrupted, or not registered.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, extract a new copy of the Msnp32.dll file from the Windows installation media. For additional information about how to extract a file, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q129605 How to Extract Original Compressed Windows Files
If the behavior continues after extracting the file, remove and reinstall the Client for Microsoft Networks using the Network tool in Control Panel.
Good luck.

You should also uninstall and reinstall your nic drivers.

In other words, my fix of removing everything in the networks control panel and reinstalling just what's needed would fix that too.

From Microsoft: Our products are completely whacked, and not reliable in the least. If you are having troubles with our products, we will have lists upon lists of articles for you to be able to read through to solved your own darned problems.
LOL, I fixed the problem allright, I just ran setup again on the Windows disk. It seemed to fix the problems. It sounds as if I am not the only one to have ever had this problem.

Back