• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT3Ultra Problems!!! or comp basics!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trdsw20

My friend just bought a MSI Kt3Ultra-ARU, AMD XP2000.
After setting everything up he powers on the computer and everything is fine. Then when he shut down and restarts his computer, the darn thing beeps and beeps(2 long beeps) and wont start.
So we installed the Dbracket to see what could be causing the problem and it turns out that it says its the memory. So we tried a different size, speed and brand of memory but no luck. time to go back to basics right?
So we remove the mobo from the case and unplug everything possible, we reseat the CPu , the memory, everything!!! Then still no luck and still no action after a shutdown and boot.
Weirdest thing is that when we ungplug the PSU and let it sit for about 20 sec it boots fine???
We thought that it might be the vid card so we swapped it out and still no luck.
Are we Overlooking something??? HELP!!!!!!

trdsw20 said:

Weirdest thing is that when we ungplug the PSU and let it sit for about 20 sec it boots fine???

That sounds like a power supply problem. If a PSU is too light it won't POST. An XP requires a minimum 350W PSU with at least 180W on the 5V line.

Re: Re: KT3Ultra Problems!!! or comp basics!!!

Tiger said:

That sounds like a power supply problem. If a PSU is too light it won't POST. An XP requires a minimum 350W PSU with at least 180W on the 5V line.

Are you sure?
I run my XP1700 and MSIK7t266a board I think on a 330W power supply (Antec sx1030). It runs fine, and I usually have abunch of things running off of it, (4 fans, 3 neons). You might be right... maybe ill take my PSU and see what happens.

Go to AMD and download the tech documents on the XP range and you will be shocked at the max amp rating required. That XP requires around 40 amps which is drawn off the 5V line. Remember that these mobos differ and the KT3 doesn't have the same number of mosfets for the cpu that most of the previous mobos had. Your fan etc are drawing off the 12V which doesn't really come into the equation here. If the cpu demands 40amps off the 5V then the power output of the PSU must be in the order of 200W. Most 350W supplies only provide 180W.
A classic sign of power problems is failure to get the system to post.

I believe 300W should be OK for normal system's.
When I first had my K7T266 Pro2 I had a 300W PSU almost everything descibed in my sig. Worked fine for the +5V which later turned out to be something else.
With that I even overclocked quite some.

But I agree, with you Tiger, look at your PSU. Change it for another and also a larger one.

i am using a 300w PSU at the moment, and i have had no problems with it at all. Am running 2 HD and burnier and cd-drive + a fan of two ;)

Back