• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking my P4 ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vAnquish

ok im looking to start overclocking my P4 1.8 GHz.

my mobo is a microstar ms6534 and in the manual it states it supports overclocking. i have added some more stuff to increase performance like a gf3 ti500, and extra 512mb SDRAM 133, now at a total of 768mb but i want to push my cpu now.

i have a thermaltake volcano 7+ with vari speed heat sink & fan on the way, plus a 80mm case fan, also some artic silver 3 thermal paste. so with all this installed the cooling should be more than sufficient.

my pc first had an award bios, and in the manual it showed i could alter FSP, multiplier & vcore values, but in my bios none of these things were active, so i went to MSI website and got the latest bios, an AMI bios, and flashed that. now i have FSB & multiplier settings, but still no vcore adjustment. is it possible for me to alter vcore on this board ? can i get a bios anywhere that will work for my board and unlock the FSB, multiplier & vcore settings ? or is it a jumper setting on this board thats stopping it appearing in my bios ?

without being able to up the vcore, i wont be able to make my system stable, so can someone help me out on how to do this ? is there a program that can do it outside of the bios, in windows ?

im hoping to push the cpu and get it stable at about 2.2GHz so thats a 400MHz increase, which i think should be capable. also any other tweaks would be greatly appreciated to help improve RAM or GFX card :)

thanks for any help, and if you require more info on my system to help me out then please ask.

vAnquish

First, I don't know anything about your motherboard. Look at the manual again to see if it describes a way to adjust voltage (either through the BIOS or by jumpers). Some mobos don't allow voltage adjustments, but by doing a volt mod, you can increase the voltage signal (see my sticky post at the top). However, chances are good you will be able to do a mild overclock without increasing voltage. Those 1.8a Northwoods will often easily do 2.4 gig. Whether yours can do this at default voltage, I don't know, but I suspect you can at least reach your 2.2 gig goal with default voltage. If you decide to go higher and find you need more voltage, then wire wrap VID pins #3 and #4 to give you 1.7v default. I believe that should get you into the 2.4 to 2.5 gig range, since you have better than average cooling.

batboy jumped too fast!!! Firstly your 1.8 is it a northwood or an old willamette? (did the package say 1.8A or just plain ol 1.8???) another way to tell is does your chip have 512k cache or like 200 something????

cpu is.....

the old willamette core, so everyone i see seems to be having awsome results with the new northwood chips, but can i achive this with my P4 ?

if not then im gona replace it with a northwood core cpu

thanks

vAnquish

Very good Darryl, guess I assumed he had the Northwood. Nevermind, forget everything I said. Those Willamettes are tough to overclock above 2.0 gig.

Back