• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC - Need Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaiser_Sose

Registered
Hi guys

Well I fianlly need a new PC my P 3 1GHZ is crashing on me all the time so I have to put some thing new together

The problem is I have been studying 3D the last few months and I am not up to date on all the latest and greates CPU's and MB's .... the last time I was researching for a new PC was when the 1.6a, Abit TH7II were the best bang for the buck. Even today I want the best bang for the buck so I would appreciate anyone tell me what currently is the best combo out there ... I dont care if its DDR or Rambus ... I just want the best bang for the buck ... and no I dont mean ' Mustang Ranch "

I am more interested in Intel than Amd. I have an XP server but I want the workstation to be Intel if at all possible .... so what combos should I look at

Well not much has changed.... th7 ii and 1.6A is probably still the best bang for buck that you speak of.... others also like the MSI 645 (although it doesn't have support for the newer p4 processors that have the 533 mhz fsb... these processors so far are the 2.26B the 2.4B and the 2.53B intel is getting out more.. but just so you know these are the current processors that run on the 533 fsb...)
THe board itself supports ddr333 and comes for about 65-70 dollars (not bad eh bet now you know why so many people like it...) it overclocks the 1.6 fine to 2.4 and beyonD! but your going to have to do a wire trick mod like thing (lol) to get the voltage up to 1.85 volts... from what i heard the board doesn't allow more than 1.6 volts (but that's just what i heard it oculd be wrong)... the abith th7ii supports the 533mhz processors even though it wasn't made for it because Mr. Natural has a bios out the 7e and beyond i think that supports these chips.. so just flash on one of these and your set for future upgrades....

Hope that was of some help!

what's wrong with your P3 system? if we can't give ya any advice on making it more stable, maybe we can buy parts from ya :D

G.

Whats the word on the BD7 II .... I plan to OC but not necessarily take it to the max

I dont mind going with Rambus but I dont want Rambus to be gone from the marlet in a year and I thought it was going to

From the current DDR chipsets is it true that the new SiS chepset kicks *** over boards like the BD7 II

My computer isnt really crashing but it must have ton of memory leaks somewhere because lately the memory is being sucked dry and I eventually loose resources

Its time for an upgrade anyways

the bd7 II is an excellent board... and if your interested in the sis chipset.. abit just released the newest sis 645dx board (check it out at newegg)...www.newegg.com

It looks like Newegg is out of the SA7

The BD7 I is a 'Intel 845E (ICH4) chipset '

The ABIT BG7m Is a 'Intel 845G (ICH4) chipset

Whats the main differences

Whats on the second version of the BD7 that is new from the first version

You have any links to good Rambus sticks

okay teh bg7 and the bg7m are bascially the same thing as the bd7 II except that it has onboard graphics.... (they are really REALLLY REALLLY BAD GRAPHICS AT THAT!!!) They are intended for business people who don't pay attention and don't need graphics... the bd7 compared to the bd7 II....

the main difference between them is that the bd7 II has support for the new pentium 4 533mhz bus processors (these processors right now that are out for it are the 2.26B the 2.4B. and the 2.53B) the regular bd7 can only handle the 400 mhz processors (like the 2.2A the 2.4A and the 2.0A the 1.8A and the 1.6A)

Someone told me that 1.7a are out and should OC like crazy .... I dont see them

Northwood do come in 2.26a, correct

With respect to the Ait TH7 II - is there two different versions out there .. one with an older chip as compared to newer ones with updated chips .... how can you be sure to get the newer and updated one

What about the Asus P4b533 ... is this board up there with the BD7II

anyone have any links for some good Rambus ..... I think Newegg has Samsung DDR

Isnt there two versions of the TH7II going around, one with the 533 support while others are still being shipped with 400 Support

Whats better the new Sis 533 boards or the Intel based ones

Last edited:
i don´t know what´s going on with the TH7-II!
but i know, that the new ASUS P4T533-C (i850E) has no ICH4...

both ASUS P4B533 (i845E) and ABIT BD7-II (i845E) are very good, if you got enough money, take the ASUS!
the ABIT has a HPT372-Controller optional, that also can be used as normal IDE-Controller... 5 PCIs
the ASUS has a PROMISE-Controller, only for RAID... 6 PCIs

SIS are very fast, but i would only take an INTEL-chipset for an INTEL-CPU!!!

Detonator said:
i don´t know what´s going on with the TH7-II!
but i know, that the new ASUS P4T533-C (i850E) has no ICH4...

both ASUS P4B533 (i845E) and ABIT BD7-II (i845E) are very good, if you got enough money, take the ASUS!
the ABIT has a HPT372-Controller optional, that also can be used as normal IDE-Controller... 5 PCIs
the ASUS has a PROMISE-Controller, only for RAID... 6 PCIs

SIS are very fast, but i would only take an INTEL-chipset for an INTEL-CPU!!!

Damn, the Intel 533 DDR boards are expensive. I wan one with RAID for the extra IDE controllers and this is the first time I heard the on board promise cards do not support it ... is this new from them

SiS seems to be fast and OC friendly but it lacks USB 2 and ATA 133 and maybe other feature I dont know ... is this going to be resloved or not

Taken from Tom's Hardware

For people who want to go Pentium 4 'B', we recommend the following scenarios:

If you want top notch performance, consider i850E motherboards with officially unsupported PC1066 RDRAM and 'not validated' ICH4 south bridge. It will offer you the fastest Pentium 4 solution, USB 2.0 support, and maybe even Gigabit Ethernet. It lacks ATA133, as Intel does not support this standard.
If you look for good performance at a fair price, it's either Intel's 845G or VIA's P4X333. The latter is not supported by the big motherboard makers, as VIA is still without a P4-bus license and the lawsuit between Intel and VIA remains. Technically, P4X333 offers ATA133 as well as AGP8x support, while i845G has its integrated graphics and the better PCI-performance.
For the time being, we don't see a reason to recommend i845E until Intel equips it with DDR333 support.

Is ths true

What are your thoughts

Our detailed tests show that forthcoming P4 CPUs with 133 MHz FSB clock used in conjunction with the 845E chipset (DDR SDRAM support) will effectively be castrated. This is because the Pentium 4 has a problem: the increase in clock speed (e.g. P4/2533 or P4/2666) will be rendered useless by the slow DDR SDRAM memory bus of the 845 platform. In the mass market, the 845 chipset dominates by nearly 100% - and this will remain the case for the next six months. But only 533 MHz RDRAM enables the processor to attain high performance. Eventually, the dual-channel DDR solution will receive some sort of technological boost, however there's still no sign of development in this area. And one shouldn't forget that even a dual DDR platform for P4 should be priced at a level that is similar to a Rambus system, considering that it's from Intel.

This was written in Feb. , is this still true

Also I want a CPU and board that is SSE2 compatable to take advantage of LW rendering SSE2 optimization ... does this limit my choices

"to take advantage of LW rendering SSE2 optimization" <- ??? what do you mean with LW?

the ABIT BD7-II (i845E) has unofficial DDR354-Support, that means it has a 3:4-DRAM:CPU-Ratio, so if you have FSB133, the RAM is 177mhz!

For example here, FSB150 and with 3:4-Ratio my SAMSUNG DDR333 runs with 200mhz compared to PC1066:
http://home.arcor.de/e55amg/memory200_fsb150.jpg

sorry, but i have no knowledge in RDRAM things... :(

i´m more informed about actually DDR!!!

Detonator said:
"to take advantage of LW rendering SSE2 optimization" <- ??? what do you mean with LW?

LW is LightWave 3D program, does the same as Maya, and 3DS Max so SSE2 is important

i forgot to explain the differences between the RAID-controllers HPT (Highpoint) and PROMISE:

- PROMISE RAID (onboard and PCI-controller) can only handle RAID-arrays, that means min. 2 HDDs that are working as one array (RAID 0 or 1)! so one HDD won´t work with PROMISE...

- the Highpoint HPT37x is a RAID-controller, that can handle HDDs as RAID-arrays, for RAID you need min. 2 HDDs,
BUT the HPT37x can also handle one HDD or more (no ATAPI, CD-ROM, etc.) as normal HDDs, like a normal IDE-controller...

so if you e.g. buy the P4B533-E (with onboard PROMISE-RAID) you have to run min. 2 HDDs as RAID, or the PROMISE will be useless...
if you go with the BD7-II, you have the option to run 4 HDDs as normal HDD-devices or you can build a RAID-array with them...
so max. would be 8 HDDs, with using the standard 2 IDE-ports...

P4 1.8a

I'm like you. I want the best preformance I can get at good values. I just finished set up a system which I've done a lot of research before buying.

P4 1.8a Northwood
Asus P4S533
512MB samsung pc2700
AS3

you can get the above system from newegg for around $420 USD, shipped. I'm currently running 2.4 (at default 1.5V) with easy and no problem at all. This is runnign on an old 250W PSU. Actually it also ran fine at 2.52 (1.5V) but I haven't done extensive test on it yet.

Overclocking is a crap shoot. You'll never know what cpu you will get that will allow you to OC higher. The P4S533 has been extremely easy to OC. It does, however, have some issue with its secondary ide. I was able to resolve it. I will post a message here later about the P4S533 MB and my experience. I believe this issue is due to some faulty wiring from case manufacturer. Plus the ide bus driver from sis can be improved. But this MB is ...very easy to set up and OC.

I have no doubt that I'll be able to OC this set up to 2.6 or 2.7 without any problems..because so far at 2.52 it's using 1.5V
Again, maybe I'm just lucky that I got my hands on a good cpu.

hehehe reguarding the question on sse2 support.... all pentiums starting from the pentium 3 have sse2 support (i think i know definately about the p4's but i think the p3 coppermines don't have sse2 support but oh well your not interested in a p3.....) I also think that Tom is an intel hater, and will fake information to promote amd! (he really is an anti-intel guy so i'm surprised you would go intel after looking at his site...) currently average o/c's for a p4 2.26B is 3ghz.... so i think that is very good... therudyq3 personally i think you speant waaaaayyy to much on that system! is that like everything included (videocard etc) or jsut the mobo cpu and mem?

well..uumm

Daryl...i bought everything from newegg...and I compared prices on pricewatch.com I think i got pretty competitive prices...

P4 1.8a cpu retail - $165
Asus P4S533 retail - $110
PC2700 Samsung original - $145
AS3 - $6
add shipping.... comes out abive $400

I could have gotten cheaper samsung mem from somewhere else but the ones at newegg is original samsung..one of few places that has that....

U could've skimped on the memory for around $105 but....it's not original samsung with a lifetime warranty
of course u could have gone OEM for the cpu and MB...but I opted not to...look at what my system can do now....hehe
stable at 2.61..with little heat...
1.55V idle temp is 34C for cpu
MB temp is 31C
full load 45C

therudyq since you bought everything at newegg.... then you could have gotten the cheper p4s533... the one you bought is priced at 110 dollars because it is meant for those who only want the mobo.... tehre is another at newegg for 103 that you must buy another component from newegg to get....

truedat

Yup you're correct!!!...I have seen posts from peeps that they had some porblems with the OEM version and rma to newegg...only to receive the retail ones... I don't know exactly what the difference is but for $7 diff...I rather save myself the headache...
I could have saved more by purchasing it at another site but...again...newegg has good reputation and their prices are very competitive....I seen posts where peeps rma the p4s533 and newegg shipped out the replaced copy before they received the defective ones....
yeah...i spent a little more for the little things that save me some headaches...still the prices are very competitive indeed

Back