• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12x multiplier on an XP1700...??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PDL

Has anyone been able to get to 12 X 150 on the XP1700?

Specifically, have you done it by changing the processor bridges?

My new 1700 runs great at 11x and if I was sure I had a chance at 12x150, I'd change it.

Compexpert said:
why would uwanna go higher just lower the multi unless ur ram is crappy

Well, I don't understand why I would go lower with the multiplier!!
To get the same speed, I would have to go higher on the FSB, and I am already at 150. So....if I could set the processor to 12x, I would get an even higher speed and keep the FSB to a tolerable point.
In other words, I can't see the sense in lowering the multiplier just to get the FSB to accept a higher mark. With this board, as far as I know, you won't get a 1/5 divisor so the further past 150 you go the further out of spec the PCI and AGP goes.

Any questions???

If you unlock your processor properly you should be able to get any multiplier up to 12.5x. my processor is half unlocked, i can use all of the .5 multis (9.5, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5...)but not the even ones (10, 11, 12...). in other words i screwed it up somewhere but im happy enough to keep it.

the idea of lowering the multiplier is to run your pci/ag buses out of spec, as well as your ram. this will give you a bigger performance increase overall but i am with you, im happy at 150 fsb. i dont want to push my buses too far out of spec...besides that something is holding me back past 152. ;)

Well, if I do change the multiplier I will go ahead and unlock it while i'm at it, but this mainboard does not support any multiplier changes via switches or bios.
This will be tested in an A7V133 to be sure the L1s are connected but it will most likely be put back into the ECS board...cause I like it better than any Asus board that I paid twice as much for!!!:rolleyes:

Odd though that noone has yet done this, or has not responded!

yah i was thinking the same thing with my 1800 let me know how it goes if sucessfull let me know i need the extra mhz for folding so not to interested in the fsb just pure speed.

Well, I won't do it for about another week. Gotta give the thing a chance to break if it's going to.
Sure will be tough going back to 1500 MHZ on my 1 gig T-Bird for a while :D , but maybe it will be worth it.

oh i didnt realize that you cant change the multiplier with your board. if you need to know what bridges to cut/connect to get that multiplier then check out this link , there is an interactive xp painting guide (its near the bottom of that page) that will tell you what all of the bridges should look like for whatever multiplier you pick.

just a word of advice; cutting the bridges is quite dangerous. if you cut too deep then you could kill the cpu, so be very careful.

Oh I know about the dangers. I've never cut them but if this will work it would be worth a try.
My motto: If you can't afford to fry it, don't try it!!
I have some ideas for a rather different approach to the whole process but I'll save that for later IF it works.
That link is frequented by me often. That is how I know that changing only 2 bridges will get me to the place I want to be.
:)

Moderators, you can close this thread!

After reading many posts about the failed attempts at cutting the bridges, I have decided to go with the motherboard modification instead. Cutting the bridges on a CPU with a ceramic casing is nearly impossible with ordinary tools(I wanted to get it done before my 100th birthday!!) :rolleyes:and using 5V supply and frying them is not in the best interest of the CPU.
Then there is the softer organic casing of the XPs that I understand is easy to cut through to the underlying contacts.
SO, by doing the mod, I can change the multiplier for any processor I now have and hopefully any future one that will be supported.

Good day!!
:)

Back