• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking a green

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DmdStar

I got one of these green 1900's the other day. Many attempts at unlocking have failed. It appears to have a film over the top unlike the brown ones. Do I need to scrape away the film over the bridges? I did try this, but appears to have exposed some metal, to which I said I loud "Yikes!" ... It will still post at 1900, but I think whatever this metal is is shorting out my unlock attempts now... Could anyone advise as to any different procedure for these green ones?

Thanks.

What I've heard of people doing (and what I'm going to do myself) is scraping at the dots w/ a pin to remove the coating. Also, some people have taken a very fine grit sandpaper and lightly sanded over the area. That's a little too extreme for me, however

that's what i'm thinking it is... I see some shiney stuff between the sets of pins (ie. not where the valleys are, the other way).

man, those exposed traces will short out any conductive material you applied on it, so you won't have a succesful unlock.
but don't gave up yet, try cover those exposed area with non-conductive material first, crazy glue for example.

this tread should help you a bit.

Actually, i've read that unlocking a green and a orange are the same.
No matter what's the color.

I've unlock 4 out of 5 XP's successfully so far...3 brown 2 green the brown ones all unlocked and only one of the green ones unlocked. The one I had trouble with pi$$ed me off something awful I'll bet tried 20+ times. I scrapped the pins then eventually I tried sanding the pins neither way helped I eventually gave and have since sold that cpu. I dont honestly know what was different with the successful Greeny unlock the chips were the same stepping but I think the packaging was different.

Has anyone else notice the code AMD puts on the different packages its on one edge wait let me look...ok the green one that unlocked has F1 on the edge. I dont remmember the code of the bad one I'l have to ask someone else to find out for sure but that cpu is already installed so...I'll bet yours wont match DmdStar and Oni check it out.

There's a film on the greens??? I'm not at all saying there's not, but I haven't noticed it. (?)

Just tonight I unlocked my second chip... they've both been green... the first was a 1700+ AGOGA, this one is a 1600+ AROIA...

I consider myself a total novice when it comes to precision work like unlocking chips (clumsy/unsteady hands), but I successfully managed to unlock both of these.

Tonight I did have to re-do the third bridge... but I managed to get it and am currently stress testing around 1700 MHz.

Dang, maybe I didn't have to go thru that trouble after all.

But, yes, there is a definite film (looks like a plastic coating) that isn't on my brown ones.

Back