• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dvdrom +vinyl paint

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Edien

I tried both Enamel and Vinyl paint on my DVD rom faceplate, so far after 1 day of drying with both paints it seems that the paint is easily scratched. Simply running my nail accross it will cut a wide cut in the paint. Ive sanded it down a couple times after doing so and added anouther paint coat and let it dry for 2 days. Same results, wanted to know if there is something wrong with what im using? Or am i just missing something. Also, is adding more coats of paint going to make the surface easier to scratch? I have about 3 coats of paint atm on my faceplate from repairing scratches.

What you're doing is scratching the "skin". Paint takes a lot longer to dry than you think. You need to let it cure for a couple of days/weeks, before it's completely dry.

really? hrmmm i see.. maybe i should take the faceplate off for a little, since keep hitting it with my nail, and let it dry for awhile. Do you know of any type if finish i could paint/spray on that would protect it from scratches(going to let it dry for a week, but I wanna make sure I have extra protection since im not the most careful person)

Last edited:
I would imagine maybe that stuff that you use to glue puzzles together (since it is clear, and protects the puzzle), however I've never tried it. I am babying my CDRW drive for the next few weeks. I did not paint the open/close button, so I rarely touch the actual drive.

Do a few coats of paint, letting them dry overnight in between, then a couple of coats of clear. Let everything dry for a week or two. Should give you fairly good protection.

I just applied a clear coat paint on the drive, letting it dry for awhile then im going to see what happens.( And my cpu just blew up XD ) <-- first time i turned the computer on lol.

Question, are you putting down a tack coat first? a take coat is applying a light coat before laying down the cover coat. Dont let the tack coat dry completely, then it wouldnt be a tack coat. Apply the cover coat and you should be fine...

my 2 cents..

Charlie:beer:

heres a pic of my drives painted semi-gloss black.. thats a hammered blue marble finish on the rest of the bezel..

are you satisfied with that hammer paint? i was kinda curious...

as far as your drive tray goes... use the die instead of the paint... it will actually dye the plastic, meaning the paint goes into the plastic, so youd have to cut into the plastic for it to get through the color... if you dont do that... get good quality paint like krylon or somethign and also, i found letting the coats dry a long time before adding the next helped a lot. then clear coat it a few times... my case has been painted almost a month now and i am just now comfortale its truly dry. give it PLENTY of dry time. also... sanding with REAL fine sand paper between coats makes it look better, but does little for drying time... read the painting guide at the top of the forum. its good even if you dont want that mirror finish.

the clear coat works great, i have 4 coats of black at 3 or clear on my bezels now. that should do it, im gonna let it dry for a few days before i put them back on. the looks really good=P oh yeah with the dye stuff, that crap is impossible to find, home depot and lowes doesnt have it.

mine are just fine. i let them dry for a whole 3 hours then put em on i applied a good thick coat on em too. then i sorta didn't touch them. they don't chip.

64Thunderbolt said:
Question, are you putting down a tack coat first? a take coat is applying a light coat before laying down the cover coat. Dont let the tack coat dry completely, then it wouldnt be a tack coat. Apply the cover coat and you should be fine...

my 2 cents..

Charlie:beer:

heres a pic of my drives painted semi-gloss black.. thats a hammered blue marble finish on the rest of the bezel..

WOW , CDROM covers are the best spray painting jobs I've seen yet!

Back