• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper tubing instead of tygon HMM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madcow235

will i see a temp difference? i have not setup my rig yet but i just so happened to find about 6 feet of 5/8 inch copper tubing which is good stuff :) will it run cooler then tygon?

Plastic is a terrible conductor of heat and copper is a very good one. The cold water line going to the block could potentially pick up heat from the case and the hot water line coming back could radiate it back into the case.

The temperatures may end up being about the same.

Keep in mind that with Copper Tubing you also have something that will most likely have to have a lot more 90 degree bends in the flow of the water (via the copper tubing) and this will kill your flowrate. Tygon will easily bend as will silicone or vinyl. I have no 90 degree elbows in my system currently.

Forget copper tubing. It looks great if you know how to
bend it and route correctly, but it's a real PITA to mount
an unmount your WB and other stuff. Maybe a hybrid
system would be OK with regular tygon where you need
the flexibility.

Temp-wise I doubt copper tubing would have much
benefit for your system.

Another important consideration is that Tygon is a lot easier to work with.

There's a guide on the front page where a guy turned an Alpha 8045 into a waterblock and used copper tubing for water lines. You might read it over - seems like he had trouble getting the block to sit level because the copper tubing was so stiff.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1009/

Back