• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading KT7A-R 1.0 w/ a Duron 750 to an Athlon XP.. Is the leap worth the risk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fliptech

Registered
Upgrading KT7A-R 1.0 w/ a Duron 750 to an Athlon XP.. Is the leap worth the risk?

I have a KT7A RAID .. not sure the revision, but it more than likely isn't the XP-Friendly 1.3 version. Mine's probably more one of the 1.0/1.1 varieties as I bought my board back in early 2001.

I'm itching to pull this Duron 750 (866@133) and pop in a cheap XP chip.. And all else fails, I could put in an Athlon (266) 1.333ghz that's on Pricewatch for somethin like $66. Do you guys think it's worth the gamble to get an XP chip? (and risk the headache of returning, refunding, etc if things dont pan out) And is it worth paying that premium (extra $10-20 for a comparable XP chip vs regular Athlon)? .. especially this is regular SDRAM (133) not DDR.

Thanks for any input

I had the exact same board setup, ABIT KT7A-RAID with a 750 duron, i recently upgraded to an 1700XP and had no probs with it (have the 1.0 version of the board). U can check out the "Abit KT7A and Athlon XP 1800" thread for more info. Offcourse this is no guarantee that it will work on your board. But think the chances are in your favour.

Good luck.

I'd try it, as a matter of fact I'm planning on trying it. I've a 1.1, and I'm planning on getting an XP1600. From what I've heard most people win the bet. And if not, I'll just have to buy a DDR/XP compatible board, and make my T-bird/KT7A a dedicated folding machine. Have fun!

the version number is on a sticker above the isa slot on the left edge of the board.

yes well worth it,i paid twice what the 1500 goes for now,but if you edit video files or run a prog that is very time consuming it smokes a 750 whatever @866.funny thats what i had my t-bird running at when i got my xp.

Back